Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Poll
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Collecting on Richardwho
 Character Options Resource
 Question regarding 12" British Icon Dalek?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  18:59:53  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
I bought the 12" British Icon Dalek when it first came out & overall I'd say I'm very happy with it, ok it's not remote controlled but I don't buy these size toys to play with as I'm a collector so to me they are more statues..., anyway to my question, it had been bothering me for a while that there was something different about this Dalek that I'd received compared to what we saw 6 or 7 months ago when they announced this release, just been looking on the Doctor Who merchandise website & came across the original picture, the Dalek shown in the promotion has the red band of the Union Jack going all the way around it along with a white line underneath going all the way round too, it also has a 50 on the side of it..., the release we got only has the Union Jack at the front & no number 50 on it SO I was wondering if anyone knows why the changes were made & who made them???

Kevin

hidden-place
Timelord

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  12:25:00  Show Profile  Visit hidden-place's Homepage
Maybe on reflection the original version proved just too hideous and they had to tone it down a bit :-s

My local BBC shop had a whole window display full of these UKIP Daleks - I don't think my eyes have recovered yet! It's as if Davros performed some hideous genetic experiment on Geri Halliwell!
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  14:09:39  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
I suspect the original design was rushed through in time for a large toy trade show. That's when we first saw early images of it.

There were also spelling errors on the box.

The newly-released dalek is in correct-spelling packaging, and I guess they decided to refine the dalek's colour scheme too. Personally, I think it was a good move removing the big 50 from the skirt.

What interests me is that it's flagged as a limited edition, but (unless I've missed something) there's no mention of how limited. I'm guessing it'll be limited until they cannot sell anymore

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  23:04:37  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
I'm happy with the new look too, just curious as to what happened to the original though really but that makes sense to me, thanks.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  03:43:01  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
I'm not aware that it is a limited edition: as Chris says it'll be there till it sells out. My guess is there's at least 10,000 units if it's selling via the BBC site and other major outlets. Believe it or not, I aint bought one yet. Anyone know the cheapest outlet please?

Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  05:54:56  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
The cheapest I found it selling for was £35.79 + £2.50 P&P from forbiddenplanet.co.uk..., cheaper than forbiddenplanet.com by 0.20p plus they have a standard starting charge for P&P of £5.50. Toys R Us want £39.99 for it as does the BBC shop.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  07:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Thank you Kevin.

Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  17:17:05  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan

I'm not aware that it is a limited edition: as Chris says it'll be there till it sells out. My guess is there's at least 10,000 units if it's selling via the BBC site and other major outlets. Believe it or not, I aint bought one yet. Anyone know the cheapest outlet please?

Here's the description from FP's website, but it could simply mean it's 'limited' to only being produced throughout this year?

"Beautifully displayed in the Union Flag, it celebrates the Daleks as a British icon and is ideal gift for all Doctor Who fans. This limited 50th anniversary edition free-wheeling Dalek features poseable arm, head and eye. Also includes 8 Dalek phrases with lights and sound FX"

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2013 :  03:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
I reckon it'll be freely available throughout 2013 and will then be discontinued, although by then I reckon it'll be one of the most plentiful "large" Daleks ever produced!

Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2013 :  04:53:36  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
All that I'm concerned with is that I've got one & I have so I'm happy.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2013 :  16:26:50  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan

I reckon it'll be freely available throughout 2013 and will then be discontinued, although by then I reckon it'll be one of the most plentiful "large" Daleks ever produced!

Agreed Steven!

Yes, Kevin, you're quite right....as long as buyers are happy with their dalek, that's really all that counts

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

CatfoodRob
Timelord

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  14:36:26  Show Profile  Visit CatfoodRob's Homepage
January 2014 and both Argos and Amazon have these for 25 quid ,if anyone is interested . I just got on, so now have every 12 inch nsd , but just cant bring myself to shell out money for the NDP ones.

Rob(CatfoodRob)Taylor,Warrington U.K.
Go to Top of Page

CatfoodRob
Timelord

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  14:44:54  Show Profile  Visit CatfoodRob's Homepage
Im not sure what you all mean about modified skirts on these daleks, both the British Icon and the latest Asylum Dalek have exactly the same skirt as all the 12 inchers from day one .
The only 12 inch Dalek with a more accurate skirt is the red Supreme Dalek , which is a whole new sculpt , but alas after its release, every other dalek has keptthe old style skirt .

Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  16:46:13  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Shame Argos have no Doctor Who spell-checker, when writing their product descriptions

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1388817.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  22:19:29  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
I saw on the Argos website yesterday that they are now selling this for £25.00..., I thought when I paid £38.00 for my first that it was a good price BUT when I bought a second for £29.00 I was even happier..., not going to get a third but still, £25.00 is a good price for anyone still wanting one.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

CatfoodRob
Timelord

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  15:48:33  Show Profile  Visit CatfoodRob's Homepage
Amazon seem to have put it back up to 37 quid . Don't know about Argos though .

Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  17:12:05  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage
Argos have it now for 19.99 on their website.
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  12:02:56  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
If you go online at Toys R Us & find your nearest store that has this Dalek in stock, it's now only £9.96..., a bargain if ever there was one.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  15:37:14  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Hi Kevin
Popped into the Southampton Toys R Us branch, but they'd long sold out.
But thanks for the tip. They have a load of the 3 dalek ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS set on offer for £19.99 in their sale.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  16:14:52  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
Hi Chris, I had a look & the nearest in stock store for the Dalek near me was York..., bit of a trek but I've got 2 already so I guess I can't complain. I might have to get that Delek set though, I'm a sucker for a Dalek I haven't got, even if it's only a dirty version of one's I have got really.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:11:16 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com