New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LMS
Obtained a Time Capsule

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  15:07:40  Show Profile  Visit LMS's Homepage
A great episode. Wonderful family entertainment, sad Matt Smith has gone he was a class act. Still to the future we look.....

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  15:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
Another great dollop of Moffat mess! The only good thing about it was the end of Matt Smith, that being the only reason I watched.
Go to Top of Page

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  19:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
A lot crammed in. Touch of the Stonehenge siege again. What was "Christmas"? Any ideas? Nice to see the Daleks back to their old form - and no NPDs. Nice little ploy to solve the regeneration problem

Visually rich, thoroughly enjoyable, but watch out for plotholes.

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page

alanperciwho
Chancellor

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  19:36:24  Show Profile  Visit alanperciwho's Homepage
Nope. Didn't see much of what I call Doctor Who in there.

I wanted Capaldi from the start, but if he doesn't grip me from episode 2 of the new series I may never bother with it again.

as for Matt Smith...doubt I'll be watching many of his stories again. Worst Doctor ever.

The highlight of this story was...erm...erm...the pictures of the enemies of the walls.
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  20:34:25  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
I had to work this evening so I've recorded it ready to watch tomorrow when I get up..., I have liked Matt Smith from the very start & I honestly think it's a shame he's quit..., looking forward to seeing what Capaldi does with the character though.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

The Saint
Obtained a Time Capsule

74 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  05:36:20  Show Profile  Visit The Saint's Homepage
Probably the best performance Matt Smith Has given in the part. The Fairy tale feeling the story had worked well. Of course plot holes a plenty, but hey it's Moffatt. Shock ! Horror ! I enjoyed it !!! 8/10
Go to Top of Page

Mr Saxon
Chancellor

United Kingdom
635 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  07:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Mr Saxon's Homepage
the main plot hole that i found was, the doctor didnt die on trenzalor so the episode "the name of the doctor" didnt happen? cause they cant go to the grave, if he didnt die there anymore...

"Thank you Mrs Jones........Mr saxon will be very Grateful"
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  10:49:28  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage
Watchable I thought but again too much crammed in to really follow the story totally.Liked the use of a cvber head talking to the doctor did'nt like seeing Amy again.Clara played a good role again, but now Matts gone lets see what Capaldi can do.We really need better scripts for him to be able to do it justice I feel.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  11:01:29  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Must admit I got a little lost. But did have a fever, so that might have
impinged my viewing experience.

But excellent to see the gold Daleks taking centre stage and the awful parawhotsit versions consigned to the 'don't mess with a perfect design' waste bin.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  11:21:43  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
Not impressed at all, think I fell asleep atone point, Capaldi looks great though
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  12:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
The Daleks looked good.

Go to Top of Page

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  15:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
Just watched the re-run, with subtitles [my hearing isn't what it was]. I really enjoyed it second time around. I think Moffatt did a good job in tying up some loose ends, and there was plenty of drama.

And I speak as a Who-ey since "An Unearthly Child". So there! :-]

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page

The Master
Renegade Timelord

Argentina
1656 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  19:09:02  Show Profile  Visit The Master's Homepage
did anyone else hear what I heard? "a new regeneration cycle", from the timelords through the crack... does that mean he can now regenerate another 12 times?? they offered the master the same thing in the 5 doctors, and since they're running out of doctors I could see how they would want to spin it to keep it going. Also, does Paul mcGann to john hurt actually count? the elixir regenerates timelords without having them to use their own, as it saved tom baker in the brain of morbius.

not the best of ways to go, they tried throwing everything in and the kitchen sink but didn't really deliver IMO

"I am The Master... and you will obey me!"

Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  08:06:24  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
I thought the first 20-or-so minutes of this were great and felt to be leading up to something really special, but the middle dragged awfully and the pacing from then onwards was terrible. The lead-up to the regeneration didn't have an epic feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it just felt like Smith wasn't given the send off he deserved.

Personally I thought Smith was pretty much the best thing about the episode, and some of the pay-offs just didn't work for me. I probably need to watch it again, but did I understand correctly that 'The Silence' were basically just confessional priests? A common complaint against RTD was that he used 'deus ex machina' as a get-out too many times, but I think Moffatt may've outdone him yesterday.

quote:
Originally posted by The Master

did anyone else hear what I heard? "a new regeneration cycle", from the timelords through the crack... does that mean he can now regenerate another 12 times?? they offered the master the same thing in the 5 doctors, and since they're running out of doctors I could see how they would want to spin it to keep it going. Also, does Paul mcGann to john hurt actually count? the elixir regenerates timelords without having them to use their own, as it saved tom baker in the brain of morbius.

McGann-to-Hurt and Tennant-to-Tennant (in Stolen Earth/Journey's End) both count as regenerations, so they'd already run out of regenerations. This is why Smith's Doctor wasn't able to regenerate and needed the new cycle.

Edited by - Paul on 27 Dec 2013 08:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  08:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Saxon

the main plot hole that i found was, the doctor didnt die on trenzalor so the episode "the name of the doctor" didnt happen? cause they cant go to the grave, if he didnt die there anymore...

This kind of thing has been a running theme throughout Moffatt's tenure. It's certainly not the first instance of time being changed.
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  19:00:42  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
Well I finally had the time tonight to sit down & watch this episode, I thought it was a great episode myself, Matt Smith was as funny as always & I'll certainly miss him playing the Doctor now that he's gone..., liked him from day 1 & I think it was the humour that made him instantly likeable to be fair but all of the new series Doctors have been good really.

Loved the Doctors one of new sidekick in this episode, I thought handles was great & I'm not sure who voiced the Cyber head but it reminded me of Mr Smith from The Sarah Jane Adventures. Some real good acting all round I thought & the casting of Orla Brady was a good one too..., last saw her in Fringe & her presence is definitely felt (good actor)! Anyway, great to see lots of decent baddies for Matt's send off & I was pleased with how Moffat got the Timelord's to give the Doctor 12 more cycles, after all they need him to get them back from where ever they are I guess ALTHOUGH surely if they can open & close the cracks in the universe they could master just calling the Doctor rather than everyone in the universe? Anyway, nice opening sequence for Capaldi, do you know how to fly this was highly amusing, hope the humour continues & I for one am looking forward to 2014s offerings.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:29:22 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com