Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Poll
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Member Topics
 New Collectors on www.richardwho.com
 how much is it worth? how to verify authenticity??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

oliviadwfan
Newly Generated

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  23:15:13  Show Profile  Visit oliviadwfan's Homepage
So HELLO whovian world of collectors. This morning I went shopping at my favorite used bookstore, which usually has a few Doctor Who books, maybe some more expensive collectors pieces (for me anyway), and is just fun to visit because it has just about anything you could want to read, ever.

Anyway, browsing in the regular sections (not the high-end pricey stuff, which they only had a couple of audiobooks for $44.95), I found Doctor Who and the Daleks, as an audiobook, published in 2005, for $4.99 (american dollars). $4.99!! to which the associate helping me says well you better snatch that up, our warehouse does all the pricing and i bet thats an error! (again, the only other DW audio books were $44.95).

So i did. and upon check out the clerk was a fellow whovian, and per store policy, inspects the audiobook for scratches etc on the cds.. and inside on the cd jacket (the front cd sleeve was just a sleeve, the jacket with more info was inside, its a few cds and double cased)... there was an autograph from William Russell, ala Ian Chesterton, who also happens to voice the audiobook.

So it LOOKS real, in terms of not being printed on the sleeve, but actually sharpie marked. I've looked at a couple of different autographs of his and they seem to match up-- but the clerk and I were freaking out--- no necessarily over monetary value, but because... IAN CHESTERTON!

Any advice on how to verify authenticity? or how much it would be approximately worth? theres no sure way to identify how old the signature is, other than it cant be older than 2005, when the audiobook was published...

but yea, im kinda hooked on finding DW collectibles now. woo!

-Olivia-

*still waiting for my mad man with the blue box*

Ian
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2014 :  12:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Ian's Homepage
He signed spare covers for the MP3 CD release of the story for the Tenth Planet shop, but that was only a single MP3 CD.

But I don't think Doctor Who And The Daleks never had a solo audio CD release, it was released with The Crusaders and The Zarbi, which makes your find a little odd.

However Tenth Planet went out of business (as a shop, Tenth Planet Events still do signings), ironically since the show became popular again and everywhere stocked Doctor Who!

Some of their surplus stock was sold cheaply as it was hard for creditors to value signed stock.

So its probable it originated from there, if it was part of a set and got split from the rest that might explain the price. Does the signed booklet say 5xCD on the front, or 1xMP3 CD?

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      5:20:49 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com