New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_narrator
The Autograph Moderator

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  10:01:27  Show Profile
This is a bit of a Pet Passion of mine and I would like to hear other fans views.

Is the Daily Mirror right ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-fans-fury-rip-off-5854367

Personally I think they are and not just for the Family Style ticket suggested in the article. Although was is surprising nobody pulled the BBC up about it back in 2013 or may be they did and I missed it ?

I would liked to have put a Poll on this subject ( but don't know how to lol ) to see what other fans say. There is one on the Daily Mirror page how ever this is for the general public.

This is the day the Timelords returned....
For Gallifrey....
For Victory....
For The End Of Time Itself....!!!

Edited by - the_narrator on 10 Jun 2015 10:02:16

AndrewKnight
Companion

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  11:13:35  Show Profile  Visit AndrewKnight's Homepage
Thanks for raising this. I think the prices are exploitative - given that the BBC is supposed to be a sort of public service. I miss the old Longleat 'level' of fandom where anyone could turn up and join in. Just type 'Longleat Doctor Who' in YouTube and there are a number of lovely homemade videos of some of the events. I went to the 1994 one - and wish I'd been taken to the 1983 one when I was 9! The events these days are great quality, but perhaps a little over packaged - hence the price.

A cosmos without The Doctor scarcely bears thinking about...
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  16:29:17  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Yes, I agree. Far too much.
The Longleat Days were great (especially when I was in a dalek ;-)
I too missed the great 1983 weekend, but am so glad I went to three of the annual events.
Made lots of new friends and picked up some very interesting stuff at JNT's auctions!

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

the_narrator
The Autograph Moderator

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  10:11:27  Show Profile
Well I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that the price is just to high. Personally speaking I would do it if I could get something out of it rather than just the " Experience " ie a Autograph or two from each guest how ever from my understanding you don't ! Thats extra. Like most events now a days you have to pay which I understand but I'm not going to pay out such a extortionate entry price ! I'm going to spend my money else where like at the Timey Wimey event in November at least there I can get 2 " Free " autographs from each guest which for me is good value for money.

It is a shame that Longleat days are a thing of the past I'm not sure why they stopped it ? I know the exhibition closed down but did that matter ? I didn't do the Dr Who days just for that I did it for the experience ie meeting other fans etc In fact I met one of my closes friends at Longleat 1998. I also, like a lot on here, bought one or two tasty items in the auction. Yes I know JNT passed away but didn't that matter ? Surely someone could have taken over the running of it ? If I remember rightly the 1998 Longleat wasn't run by JNT any way.

I to like a lot of people didn't do the 83 version I was just to young being the tender age of 12 at the time. I think that my family just couldn't afford to pay for the trip, hell back in 83 we didn't even have a car !

Which brings me to say what a non who friend said to me about the 2015 event. He told me that the reason why the BBC are charging such a high price is to keep the average fan away and only the rich superfandom can afford or justify the purchase. This of course means they don't get a repeat performance of the crowds of Longleat 83. Lets face it if the entry tickets where say £20-30 they would have been sold out in hours. Also they need to recover their costs of running such an event after all we don't want them spending our license money on running a Dr Who event ( can you imagine the back lash ? ). How ever I pointed out that the BBC make enough money out of us already with out including the license fee from all the Dr Who products that are on the market I mean if its got a logo on it we seam to buy it ! Apart from myself I would rather spend my money on getting a nice screen used prop than some of the mass produced " Tat " thats currently on the market !

Oh well something else I'll be missing out on which is for me no great loss !

This is the day the Timelords returned....
For Gallifrey....
For Victory....
For The End Of Time Itself....!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:12:26 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com