New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AndrewKnight
Companion

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  14:11:08  Show Profile  Visit AndrewKnight's Homepage
Hello friends of the forum. Just a quick note to mention I went to the Montacute TV Radio and Toy Museum in Devon today, on my way home from a weekend away. I can highly recommend it to anyone interested in popular culture of recent decades, including Doctor Who. There is something very kitsch and tacky (in a fun way!) feeling about this place which I was lucky enough to walk around on my own. At times it felt like the kind of place a lunatic obsessed with TV shows would lock you into, with walls plastered with annuals, boardgames, photos, etc., glass cases with more merchandise, busts and ephemera, plus outsized, costumed dummies of everyone from Mr. Bean, to Steed, to all the Doctors looming over you like a nightmarish funfair attraction! As well as the visuals, audios of different theme tunes are played in the various recesses of this TARDIS-like attraction. There's a video on Youtube to fill in more details of what's there to see.

I would say fit it into a larger trip rather than going there specifically. I made the museum last 35 minutes because I knew my wife was waiting in the tea room outside, but you could easily stay over an hour if you wanted to read most things. Most items there are reproductions, but there is a screen-used miniature tetrap amongst a few other things from other productions.

Has anyone else here been? Would like to know your opinions of this weird and fascinating Aladdin's cave.

A cosmos without The Doctor scarcely bears thinking about...

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  16:23:41  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage
A have seen this advertised before but not had chance to get there.But we are going to Sidmouth for a week in july so fully intend to make the effort to get there.
Just wondered if you went into Yeovil which is not too far away and if so was there any Dr Who around there?
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  16:26:06  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Many thanks for the heads-up Andrew.

I'd never heard of the place, but have been trawling the internet after reading your post.

Their dalek looks very decent, as do their two cybermen:

http://www.montacutemuseum.co.uk/step-into-the-tardis.html

And I'm sure I'd find plenty of other stuff from my TV era to look at. I'll have to wait until I get a photoshoot down that way.

Thanks again

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  16:36:49  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage
Just clicked on the link you supplied Chris.Looking forward to going now next month.
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  17:16:29  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage
Have to say the tea room looks good as well.
Go to Top of Page

AndrewKnight
Companion

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  03:20:45  Show Profile  Visit AndrewKnight's Homepage
Thanks for your replies. DB 2 - we drove through Yeovil - but I don't think there is anything much there. Sidmouth is very nice, as is Lyme Regis just over the Dorset border, for the traditional seaside experience.

A cosmos without The Doctor scarcely bears thinking about...
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  16:12:26  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage
We have spent a lot of time around West Bay and Sidmouth areas on holiday.Lovely places. Funnily enough last year on our way to Sidmouth we stopped off at Bridport market and I picked up an 18" supreme Dalek, boxed in immaculate condition.This was off a guy selling cd's and a few loose toys.No other DW. What are the chances of that happening?So the Dalek had a weeks holiday with us.

Edited by - DB 2 on 22 Jun 2015 16:15:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:19:30 PM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com