Topps 2015 Doctor Set
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2015 :  17:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm surpised noone else has mentioned this set on the forum yet as it is the first full North American Trading Card release for Dr Who. Anyway, my two cases from this set arrived on Wednesday. I finally finished collating everything this evening, so I thought I'd post the results here with a few comments.

Topps 2015 Doctor Set

Case 1

Autographs:

Derek Jacobi as The Master (13/25)
Noel Clarke as Mickey Smith (03/25)
Bernard Cribbins as Wilfred Mott (38/50)
Sophie Aldred as Ace (24/50)
Mark Strickson as Vislor Turlough (Base)

Printing Plate:

D-3 Who Is The Doctor – The Third Doctor (Yellow)

[/URL]

Patches:

Rose Tyler (06/25)
The Twelfth Doctor (73/99)
The Eleventh Doctor (Base)
Barbara Wright (Base)
The Second Doctor (43/99)
Barbara Wright (10/99)
The Sixth Doctor (97/99)
The Fourth Doctor (Base)
The Second Doctor (Base)
Christina de Souza (Base)
Nyssa (Base)
Susan Foreman (1/25)

Costumes:

Rory's Green Striped Shirt
Sally Sparrow's Coat
Ood Alien Costume
Sally Sparrow's Coat
Ood Alien Costume
Ood Alien Costume

Tardis Variants:

Base: 163, 165, 43, 37, 31, 25, 10, 59, 12, 41, 38, 1
Gold: 38

Base Set Variants:

Blue (/199): 52
Purple (/99): 26
Red (/50): 13
Gold (1/1): 0

Base Sets: 3

Needed to complete sets: 29, 115, 182 x 3

Companions: 7 (Dupes: C-1, C-6)
Christmas Time: 4 (CT-1, CT-2, CT4, CT-5, CT-6, CT-7, CT-8, CT-10)
Gadgets: 3 (Dupes: G-1, G-3, G-6)
Memorable Moments: 14 (Dupes: MM-1, MM-2, MM-5, MM-10)
Who Is The Doctor: 3 (No duplicates)

Case 2

Autographs:

Eric Roberts as The Master (Gold 1/1)
John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness (32/50)
Catrin Stewart as Jenny Flint (19/50)
Noel Clarke as Mickey Smith (Base)
Jimmy Vee as Moxx of Balhoon (Base)

Printing Plates:

8 The Eighth Doctor - Yellow
146 Private Ross Jenkins – Yellow

[/URL]

Patches:

Donna Noble (Base)
The Sixth Doctor (Base)
The Second Doctor (98/99)
Martha Jones (Base)
Astrid Peth (Base)
The Sixth Doctor (53/99)
Clara Oswald (Base)
The Fifth Doctor (Base)
The Second Doctor (19/25)
Tegan Jovanka (44/99)
The Ninth Doctor (28/99)
The Tenth Doctor (Base)

Costumes:

Ood Alien Costume
Sally Sparrow's Coat
Ood Alien Costume
The Tenth Doctor's Brown Suit Trousers
Sally Sparrow's Coat

Tardis Variants:

Base: 10, 59, 43, 31, 11, 37, 87, 1, 42, 41, 45, 9
Gold: 59 – Dalek

Base Set Variants:

Blue (/199): 52
Purple (/99): 25
Red (/50): 13
Gold (1/1): 0

Base Sets: 5
Missing 182, 196 for 6th Set

Companions: 7 (Dupes: C-3, C-5)
Christmas Time: 4 (CT-2, CT-3, CT4, CT-5, CT-7, CT-8, CT-9, CT-10)
Gadgets: 3 (Dupes: G-1, G-3, G-6)
Memorable Moments: 14 (Dupes: MM-3, MM-6, MM-7, MM-9)
Who Is The Doctor: 2 (Missing: D-8, D-4 Dupes: D-6, D-11)

Collation was overall pretty good but I was only able to make 8 complete Base Sets from the two cases. I had to open 7 boxes in the first case before I was able to complete my first Base Set, which did not bode well. However, the intriguing, and slightly frustrating, aspect of that is that all four incomplete sets are missing the same card. in three of those cases, this is the only card needed to complete the set. The fourth set is missing two other cards.

My only disappointment was not hitting an autograph from one of the actors playing the Doctor. However, this is offset by hitting autos from the two actors who played the Master who contributed to the set. Getting a Gold 1/1 for Eric Roberts was the icing on the cake there :-)

One size does NOT fit all

Edited by - Qexit on 26 Dec 2015 17:49:27

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2015 :  18:52:26  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Kevin.
Many thanks for your research.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2015 :  06:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm really wanting to go for this but finding them in the UK at sensible prices is proving challenging. I'm also a bit of a completest so I don't like the composition of the set when compared to the Cornerstone or SI sets. The patches and variants just don't do it for me at all.

I'll cave in at some point though! I see the next set has already been announced.
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2015 :  08:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It depends on what you mean by 'sensible prices'. This set is quite expensive to bring to the UK, even by the case. So I wouldn't expect to see prices coming down too much any time soon. The base is quite large at 200 cards and isn't easy to put together. As I mentioned in my breakdown, I had to open 7 boxes just to complete one set. With a maximum of six sets to a case plus the shipping cost for a small parcel weighing in the region of 400g don't expect to see them being given away for £5-£6 inc shipping like a lot of other recent releases.

I am not a fan of the different parallel sets, autos and such myself. It was a nightmare to sort everything out and find everything. A particular problem being the Tardis variant cards. These are a 17 card subset of the Base Set. The only difference between them and a regular base card is that the DW logo on the front of the card has been replaced by a Tardis image. The odds of finding one were officially 1 in 23 packs, so roughly one per box. But they threw in another fun little twist. There is a 1 in 243 chance of finding a Gold Variant, i.e. one card per case !! This has gold foil on the front instead of the silver used on the regular cards and other Tardis variants. I missed the Gold Variant in my first case and only came across it when I was collating the base sets.

The card set itself is pretty good. They have made an effort to cover both the classic and modern series. They have used quite a lot of good shots for the cards. Once I get everything scanned in, I will see if I can post examples of the chase sets, Tardis patch cards and costume cards. There is also at least one mistake in one of the chase sets. Not a factual one (though it would not surprise me if there are one or two) more of mismatch between the text on the back and the image on the front.

OK, back to eating mince pies for a bit. I need a break from thinking about trading cards

Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2015 :  04:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Firstly, well done on the gold Eric Roberts auto - very nice!!

I'm wanting to buy a case - looking at around $900 on US ebay, but I've been quoted £70 a box over in the UK. The cost of shipping from the US doesn't worry me, but the sting from customs does. I may treat myself to a case via my brother who lives in the US

I've been reading on NSU how difficult a base set is to put together, and 7 boxes is just ridiculous.

The set does look nice (particularly the auto cards) but I would've like to see something more along the lines of what Inworks were proposing about 7 years ago; that is, sets based on individual seasons or Doctors. This just looks to me like a hybrid of Cornerstone and Battles in Time sets - probably because of the photos.

I think I'm just disappointed because I've been waiting so long for a decent new-Who trading card set, and now it's here there I fundamental things I don't like about it. I probably just need to get hold of a box and see it for myself.

Edited by - Paul on 28 Dec 2015 04:42:00
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2016 :  08:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are at least a couple of errors in this set. One of the Tardis Patch Cards has the name of the character displayed as 'Victoria Waterfield' from Classic Who days but the photo is of 'Jenny Flint' from the current era. I didn't pull one of these, so cannot post a piccie. However, there is another in the Gadgets chase set on Card G-8:

If you read the description on the back, it talks about the Sonic Blaster introduced by Captain Jack Harkness during Christopher Eccleston's time as the Doctor (The Hollow Child story if I remember rightly) but the front of the card shows agent Sara Kingdom from The Dalek Master Plan, a William Hartnell era story from way back in the 60s, holding a gun that isn't the Sonic Blaster described on the back of the card...though it could in theory still be some kind of Sonic Blaster

I haven't gone through all the cards carefully yet, but it would not surprise me to find out that there are other mistakes like this.

Edited by - Qexit on 09 Jan 2016 08:59:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      4:16:27 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com