New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

John Huggins
Mastered Materializing

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  15:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... ok... so by my reckoning, there's been 'debatably' somewhere around ~285? episodes over the last 50 or so years...

Taking a very rough figure, (picked at random)... as to how many 'decent props' there would have been in each episode, let's just say something like '20' for arguments/estimates sake... (obviously some episodes would have had far less, and others, far more...)

I make that a very rough guess of about 5,700 'decent' Doctor Who props made/out there...

How many do we know of have survived? and, does anyone know what happened to the rest?... surly they wouldn't ALL have been binned by the Beeb? do they still own any? is there still a storage warehouse out there? or have they all been sold off over the years?

... ps... PLEASE feel free to re-guesstimate my workings out... the actual figure might have been MUCH lower (or higher)...

This has been great, but now I've got to go scream!

the_narrator
The Autograph Moderator

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  23:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simple answer and I think I can speak for everyone on here is We Just Don't know :(

Highly unlikely that the BBC have anything from the Classic era unless its in a exhibition some where. As for the New Series yes they may have stuff that's not in a exhibition its hard to say.

What amazes me is the fact that they know that Fans like us want stuff from the new series and apart from the auction stuff of the last few years or so they don't sell any of it ! What I mean is for example all the back ground stuff and NOT the main pieces. They could if they wanted to sell of some of the small background bits on Ebay for Children In Need that other wise would be binned or skipped.
Nobody has ever given me a reason as to why they don't.

Lets take Fear Her as an example do you remember all those drawings in whats-her-names bedroom ? Yeah well what happened to them ? I mean someone had to draw them/print them and yet where did they go ? In the Bin ? What a crying shame !!! They could have auctioned them off on Ebay for CIN and made a few quid for the charity Crazy Huh ?

Sorry going off track lol

Another thing to remember is there's a lot in collectors private collections that are not PUBLICLY known about. Unless they put it on to a site like this or any others we don't know about the pieces. For example I remember going to Longleat once and speaking to the well known prop collector Andrew Beach about the auction of JNT's stuff and him replying " I'm not allowed to bid other wise nobody would get a look in " I would love to know what's in HIS collection if indeed he still has a collection. Even if you take those auctions as an example where is all that stuff ?

So you can understand why I said Nobody Knows

This is the day the Timelords returned....
For Gallifrey....
For Victory....
For The End Of Time Itself....!!!
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  10:17:15  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so much stuff was sold at Longleat and vanished into private collections, including Tom Bakers red velvet jacket, went to canada I think. Stuff was routinely thrown away at Llangollen, if it had deteriorated to the extent that it was considered no long fit for exhibition. My Save Water and Charity begins at home posters from Turn Left were left stuck to various walls and doors after filming had ceased on the episode, just peeled off with various degrees of success! When Blackpool exhib shut down, think most of the stuff went straight to Bonhams, the sea captains haemovore costume that i have the mask for went there. The guy who ran the exhibition was so upset, I was there on the very last day, he couldn't understand why the beeb were shutting it down when it routinely made a profit!
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  10:33:42  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another board member knows far more about this, but I gather quite a few Blackpool props were dumped in either a skip or similar. Don't ask me why....it just sounds so mad!

Only a few were rescued, as the person who saw them didn't have space in his car to rescue them all!

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  23:37:23  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
o god thats awful, please tell me the Masters penguin suit survived!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      3:56:33 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com