New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr Saxon
Chancellor

United Kingdom
635 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2013 :  16:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Mr Saxon's Homepage
got to admit i was hoping it was going to be a period episode when i saw the photos way back in the year of cybermen in a castle - so tonights didnt live up to my full expectations but i did enjoy it, the new design is resembling the new series, but not quite as chunky, like from tomb.... and the whole idea of a cybermen repair yard is a nice idea, which i think is a bit too close to the dalek assylum idea but still nice enough

the semi circles in cyber storage made a nice reminder of troughton story aswell :)

overall to summerise my rambeling thoughts i did enjoy tonight haha.... this is why i never went into journalism lol

"Thank you Mrs Jones........Mr saxon will be very Grateful"

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2013 :  18:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
Bit of a miss for me I'm afraid. Best Cyber redesign since Earthshock, but let down by a poor script and some terrible acting by Smith.
Go to Top of Page

AndrewKnight
Companion

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2013 :  18:33:50  Show Profile  Visit AndrewKnight's Homepage
More nutty than squirrel sh*t. Why's it all got to be so manic these days?

A cosmos without The Doctor scarcely bears thinking about...
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  04:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Regeneration

Bit of a miss for me I'm afraid. Best Cyber redesign since Earthshock, but let down by a poor script and some terrible acting by Smith.

Agree 100%

Go to Top of Page

The Saint
Obtained a Time Capsule

74 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  05:29:46  Show Profile  Visit The Saint's Homepage
I was looking forward to this one, but as usual the script, acting, and direction let the side down. The main problem with this season is that all the stories would greatly benefit by being 2 parts thus allowing more time for character development. As it stands, the actors read their lines, and little else. Or you get big names, who seem to be allowed to camp it up, like a Batman villain from the 60's Adam west series. Finally a word to Matt Smith, let's hope in your upcoming film, directed by Ryan Gosling, he persuades you that less is more. 1/10
Go to Top of Page

AndyR
Obtained a Time Capsule

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  07:36:49  Show Profile  Visit AndyR's Homepage
Some nice little nods to the past (cleaning fluid, gold, cyber-planner, tombs, last of the cybermen, Time lord gumf) but all incredibly rushed to get from point A to point B. Should have been a two parter to allow the story and characters to breathe. Warwick Davis was good, Tamzin Outwaithe had barely enough time to tell us she was a soldier before she died. The kids were an add-on because now the Cybermen take children instead of adults (?)

Matt Smith got to over act a little and was a tad confusing. Time Lords invented chess (don't start saying things like that, it's silly) Stuff that did work was the Cybermites - a nice idea adding to the fears of crawling into your brain ! The sleeker, more rounded and more functional Cybermen - heads off, hands off, and so agile, not just stomping about giving you time to leg it. The immediate upgrades - very creepy.

Will need to re-watch it to let it all sink in.
Go to Top of Page

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  07:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
Regarding the allegy to gold etc., does this mean that these cybermen are OUR cybermen, and not the ones from the parallel dimension? Questions in the House, the world waits....

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page

Fudge
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1821 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  05:55:10  Show Profile  Visit Fudge's Homepage
Liked the script but the director didn't seem to quite decide which direction to take it in. I didn't like Warwick Davis, his performance was very, very flat.

Two things I did like was the new Cybermen, they absolutely rocked. And I thought it was probably the best realised alien planet we'd had for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

james791
Obtained a Time Capsule

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  07:07:37  Show Profile  Visit james791's Homepage
I quite liked this one. Thought the Cybermen looked great, however can't help but feel they are ripping off the Borg a fair bit with the semi-cyberised look, their hive mind and upgrades etc. Ironic considering the Borg ripped off the cybermen originally!

So now just slapping a bit of gold onto your face will stop the cyber thoughts/process? a bit silly (but no more than Silver Nemesis)

The kids-very annoying. But I guess this is a kids programme so it only to be expected some will turn up at some point!

The cybermites-very creepy.

Clara... Sorry but I just don't like the character. I don't like the way she immediately takes to so many situations, and her lines sound rather forced and contrived. Nothing against Miss Coleman herself, I think its more to do with the requested dynamic between her and the Doctor. It seems these days every companion has to have some kind of "angle" on their relationship with the Doctor. I could perhaps buy into her attitude and scripting with someone older and who had been around the Dr longer-in fact River Song would fit the bill perfectly-but for someone who barely knows the Dr (and seems to go home at the end of every adventure!) it all rings a little hollow.
Go to Top of Page

alanperciwho
Chancellor

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  13:18:15  Show Profile  Visit alanperciwho's Homepage
I agree with The Saint on this one. A lot of these episodes need to be more than 45 minutes, and a two part story for each would help dramatically.

I have to say this but I don't like Clara either and Matt Smith is starting to annoy me as much as Jon Pertwee does, but at least Pertwee has class.

I still don't like the new breed of Cybermen and it has now come to the point where only an imploding planet (eh?) can destroy them.

Warwick Davis added some quality, even if he did have a small part.
Go to Top of Page

frobisher
Keeper of Time

Jamaica
628 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  15:25:16  Show Profile  Visit frobisher's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by alanperciwho

I agree with The Saint on this one. A lot of these episodes need to be more than 45 minutes, and a two part story for each would help dramatically.

I have to say this but I don't like Clara either and Matt Smith is starting to annoy me as much as Jon Pertwee does, but at least Pertwee has class.

I still don't like the new breed of Cybermen and it has now come to the point where only an imploding planet (eh?) can destroy them.

Warwick Davis added some quality, even if he did have a small part.

Ok, best comment of 2013 so far...

Go to Top of Page

Mark42
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  09:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Mark42's Homepage
Just more rubbish to me - a big disappointment.
The Cybermen are now indestructable, that will make them incredably boring for any future story. The first Cyberman could move so fast that he was a blur - WHY? If they can move so fast why didn't one or two instantly kill everybody? Why then spend the rest of the show walking slowly into laser beams?
The troopers were the most pathetic bunch of soldiers ever - so why did indestructable Cybermen have to do silly tricks like taking off their heads, or hands, to get them?
And as the Cybermen never spoke, it all being done through the Doctors internal fight with himself, they became nothing but bland background characters. Thousands of them marching had no impact whatsoever - the single Ice Warrier proved that its more effective to be faced with less, hundreds or thousands of them simply numb the audience.
The Cybermen where always my favourite bad guys but have been badly let down in every new series show.
I can't understand why so many bad creative decisions are being made in the production of this show. When you watch the behind the scenes programs you have all these actors and technicians sitting down together to discuss the episodes, why do none of them ever say 'This is nonsense, that makes no sense, this design looks S**t', we can't do it that way. etc. etc - I mean last weeks show had a big rocket launch whilst the actors stood next to it on the stairs!!!!!!! For Gods sake any 5-year-old would have realised that they would have been burned to a frigging crisp!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      3:39:14 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com