New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr Saxon
Chancellor

United Kingdom
635 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  14:58:14  Show Profile  Visit Mr Saxon's Homepage
well for me this episode redeams the series for me, could have done with a bit less waffle and more action but i enjoyed it, personally i think this is more like a prequel to the anniversary as oppose to a series finally lol

now i understand that john hurt interview a wee while back :) i wont post here cause ill get told off for posting more spoilers....

"Thank you Mrs Jones........Mr saxon will be very Grateful"

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  15:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Well they kept the best till last. And I even managed to follow what was going on! Tom Baker though was my favourite Doctor this season!

I was held spellbound throughout. There's much magic in Who, and I was reminded of it here. And the scale of the story telling took my breath away. Visually very impressive.

The Doctor experiences The Hurt in this one.

50th Anniversary? Bring it on!!

Edited by - Dalekfan on 18 May 2013 15:43:13
Go to Top of Page

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  15:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
usual Moffat crap, John Hurt has potential as the character... nothing of interest here.
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  16:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage
Well I certainly enjoyed it. I need to watch it again to look through all of the brief old clips. The 50th Anniversary episode is going to be interesting, then there will be the Christmas Special and then on to series 8 with Mr Moffat still at the helm and Matt Smith still in the title role.

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

Mark42
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  17:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Mark42's Homepage
Yes I thought it was a nice concept, having to travel to your future grave site, and it had some nice visuals - but there wasn't actually a story there, was there?
I mean the Doctor gets a message 'go to your grave or your companions get it', so he simply goes there, gives himself up to the bad guy, who then does his thing. The Doctor collapses, the universe starts to fall apart, so the bland companion throws herself into the vortex thingy - job done. You could have written this on the back of a stamp.
Basically this was a 5-minute plot with 40 minutes of fan pleasing window dressing. But maybe thats why I liked it.
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  22:20:18  Show Profile
WOW!!!! I thought it was Bloody Brilliant.. This was by far the best episode to date. I enjoyed it so much, that I was choking up when River and the Doctor were having their conversation.. I thought the explaination of Clara and how she lived and died and met the Doctor throughout his lives etc was a great idea AND we didnt find out the Doctors name.. That was a major Plus..
Strax is such comedy gold isnt he.. Cant wait till the anniversary episode..

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

The Saint
Obtained a Time Capsule

74 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  05:23:42  Show Profile  Visit The Saint's Homepage
The problem with this episode was pace. To much time spent on waffle. Then the usual rush to the finish. As a 2 parter this could have been great. Some interesting ideas, and enjoyable nods to the past. If John Hurt is to be the Black sheep Doctor, Shouldn't that job have gone to Paul Mcgann after all he only had one bite of the cherry. 4/10
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  09:57:49  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
John Hurt looks interesting, enjoyed the past Dr bits - where was Mcgann? Nice Valeyard ref. Even insipid Dr Who is better than most other things! Please no more of that bloody sontaran silurian/lesbian triumvirate! long outstayed its appeal, if it had any in the first place. set the scene nicely for the special = least another Three Doctors will be nice!
Go to Top of Page

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  12:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
Rather nice. Also nice to be proved right for once - I guessed at a sort of "City of Death" fragmenation in time at the start of this segment. Honest I did!

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page

AndrewKnight
Companion

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  12:54:52  Show Profile  Visit AndrewKnight's Homepage
Stunt casting as a cliffhanger - I love it!

A cosmos without The Doctor scarcely bears thinking about...
Go to Top of Page

Peterdalek
Timelord

483 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  07:34:11  Show Profile  Visit Peterdalek's Homepage
quote:
John Hurt looks interesting, enjoyed the past Dr bits - where was Mcgann?

Blink(Don't Blink!) and you'd miss him.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Paul(or should I say his body double) runs past Clara in the foreground seconds before Patrick Troughton, in the opposite direction, in the beginning sequence.

Can anyone else Clara-fy this? (did you see what I did there?)

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  07:51:53  Show Profile
that is exactly what what I saw also..

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

Liberator
Vervoid Salad Chef

United Kingdom
1410 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  08:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Liberator's Homepage
Now that was more like it! Very enjoyable, although I did feel certain elements were wasted due to the 'movie of the week' format. I'd certainly like to see more of what the whisper men are capable of in the future.

River - are we to assume that she's gone for good now? Personally I still like her and I certainly got caught up in the emotion of that cracking scene she had with the Doctor.

Loved seeing some of the past Doctors of course but I was hoping we might get a sneaky 8th Doctor moment near the end due to his poor showing in the pre-titles sequence. He was probably the worst served incarnation, as all the others at least got an "Ohh, there's the 5th/6th/7th!" moment. Was anyone else disappointed by the quality of the footage they used? It looks like they just used the standard broadcast masters and didn't even take advantage of the restored versions used on the DVD's! Shame.

Daleks conker and destroy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:54:53 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com