New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  04:30:58  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Good to see Cybermen marching down steps infront of St Paul's Cathedral again.

Need to watch it again to give an opinion on everything else!

Chris Balcombe

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  06:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
Moffat seems to have an unhealthy obsession with giving Time Lords the ability to change sex. DW is going nowhere since he took over.
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  10:59:16  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
rubbish, boring asinine crap, why not use the rani , ready made female timelord villain, instead of rewriting history for the sake of it, female Doctor next - you'll see
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  15:05:02  Show Profile
Beginning had me wondering what the hell was going on and I was totally confused.. After it all was explained (well sort of) we end up with Danny asking lots of questions and not getting any answers and again I was frustrated with the story.. Then it got good and the little nod to the cybermen with the windows in the doors was great and the effects with the dark water. HOWEVER the reveal of Missy as the Master was just Crap through and through.. I agree she should have been revealed as the Rani (which should have been the Doctors first guess) or maybe an angry Romana but What the Hell was Moffett and the rest of the crew thinking of with this.. I just hope that next week we get closure and it had better be a damn good explanation if they keep her as the new Master.

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

Liberator
Vervoid Salad Chef

United Kingdom
1410 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  15:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Liberator's Homepage
I enjoyed that one overall. I thought the whole betrayal sequence was very good and nicely played. Decent direction from Rachel Talalay and Michelle Gomez was particularly good too.

On the downside, it got a bit dull in the middle and I get the impression they were trying to make the Cybermen a surprise reveal. Having them all over the media and in last weeks trailer kind of buggered that up though didn't it? Plus the filming in London gave it away months ago, so why bother?

I must admit, I didn't twig the Missy as the Master reveal. I kind of thought it might be the Rani but actually thought it might be Romana! The Doctor did kind of abandon her in E Space, she was a Time Lady and was known as 'Mistress' by K9, so I guess it's not the most bonkers guess (I hope!)?

Looking forward to seeing UNIT in action next week and hoping it won't be a rushed nonsense wrap up in the last five minutes.

Daleks conker and destroy
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2014 :  08:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Liberator

On the downside, it got a bit dull in the middle and I get the impression they were trying to make the Cybermen a surprise reveal. Having them all over the media and in last weeks trailer kind of buggered that up though didn't it? Plus the filming in London gave it away months ago, so why bother?
If they hadn't included them in last weeks trailer, then the Cybermen reveal would have been a nice surprise for me as I have made a concious effort to avoid any news about the current series. So I no idea the Cybermen were back...until the spoiler filled trailer. But that precedent was established way back in the Christopher Eccleston season when the big Dalek reveal was also spoiled in the trailer the previous week. There was no trailer this week but parts of last weeks have still to appear. I would really like to see these trailers discontinued altogether as they really aren't needed. A return to multi-part storylines with cliff-hanger endings would be the best option there, so there would no longer need to be a 'trailer' hook to get people to watch the next stand alone episode.

quote:

I must admit, I didn't twig the Missy as the Master reveal. I kind of thought it might be the Rani but actually thought it might be Romana! The Doctor did kind of abandon her in E Space, she was a Time Lady and was known as 'Mistress' by K9, so I guess it's not the most bonkers guess (I hope!)?

Looking forward to seeing UNIT in action next week and hoping it won't be a rushed nonsense wrap up in the last five minutes.

I didn't twig the reveal either, especially not after the reference to 'being left for dead' as that has never really happened with a fellow Time Lord. The Master was last seen alive blasting Rasillon with energy bolts, so not exactly dead. I am intrigued to see how next weeks episode pans out but I'm also hoping for somethng other than a 'with one mighty leap' closing minutes wrap up to fit in with the overseas commercial break requirements. One can only hope.

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Qexit

quote:

If they hadn't included them in last weeks trailer, then the Cybermen reveal would have been a nice surprise for me as I have made a concious effort to avoid any news about the current series. So I no idea the Cybermen were back...until the spoiler filled trailer. But that precedent was established way back in the Christopher Eccleston season when the big Dalek reveal was also spoiled in the trailer the previous week. There was no trailer this week but parts of last weeks have still to appear. I would really like to see these trailers discontinued altogether as they really aren't needed. A return to multi-part storylines with cliff-hanger endings would be the best option there, so there would no longer need to be a 'trailer' hook to get people to watch the next stand alone episode.

quote:

I didn't twig the reveal either, especially not after the reference to 'being left for dead' as that has never really happened with a fellow Time Lord. The Master was last seen alive blasting Rasillon with energy bolts, so not exactly dead. I am intrigued to see how next weeks episode pans out but I'm also hoping for somethng other than a 'with one mighty leap' closing minutes wrap up to fit in with the overseas commercial break requirements. One can only hope.

I agree. Only a few series use the 'next week's taster' method to try to attract viewers back.
If you have a very strong, popular show, you shouldn't need these 'spoiler clips'.
I much prefer to watch an episode and be surprised/shocked etc by something I wasn't expecting.
But I doubt our feelings will cause any changes whatsoever.
We're just the viewers after all

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

Fudge
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1821 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  12:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Fudge's Homepage
Was actually glad it wasn't The Rani. Would have been a huge let down for the general audience. Who apart from a few thousand fans are going to be familiar with a character from six poorly received episodes screened thirty years ago.

Thought the episode was probably the most challenging, darkest that has ever been attempted in the series. Moffatt again pushing the format of the series further. Very good opener but I feel one that cannot be truly appreciated without viewing the second part.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      5:19:23 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com