Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

frankiewilliams
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  18:12:06  Show Profile  Visit frankiewilliams's Homepage
I feel that Sylvester McCoy is very much Underated as The Doctor. He is my Favourite, and thats not becuase I grew up with him when I was really a small boy (born in 1984), his face used to scare me when I was little.

He brings a sense of adventure which alot of the doctors don't have. The way he says his words so fast, as he's building up to a climax, is very well acted. The interaction between him and his companion (s) is very good.

Just becuase he was the last Doctor in the television run, doesn't mean that he was rubbish, does it? Well I think no. He is a truely good actor, and plays the role very well indeed.

Slyvester is very much like a flip side to Patrick. (It mentions this in the book "Doctor Who:The Legend Continues")

"Oooh Davros I am far more than just another Timelord"

drwhofan
Wholigans

United Kingdom
1016 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  03:29:42  Show Profile  Visit drwhofan's Homepage
Welcome to the board frankiewilliams. We agree with you 100%, Sylvester McCoy is a great actor, also loved Ace with him, they went very well together.

43 Years of Dr Who, 3, years of collecting.
Go to Top of Page

Fudge
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1821 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  21:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Fudge's Homepage
I was never really convinced with Sly. I thought he was very good in his first season (although the stories were a bit rubbish) and after that when then the makers tried to make him into this mysterious and manipulitive figure there was no light to his shade. He never seemed a rounded charecter to me.
Go to Top of Page

koollectablz
The Great Intelligence

Congo, Democratic Republic of
920 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  06:13:10  Show Profile  Visit koollectablz's Homepage
Who went into terminal decline with Colin Baker and life support was turned off with McCoy.

The fetid corpse incapable of resusitation for over a decade.

JMHO
Go to Top of Page

slicedsilurian
Companion

United Kingdom
290 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  06:41:26  Show Profile  Visit slicedsilurian's Homepage
I wld agree it did decline, but that was down to the production team IMHO, Insisting on weird stories, dreadful costumes and telling the lead actor which way to portray The Doctor.JNT did not help at all by bringing in the likes of Ken Dodd, Hale & Pace etc..it just became totally unbelievable.
Go to Top of Page

RADIATION GLOVES
Cyber Controller

United Kingdom
765 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  14:48:08  Show Profile  Visit RADIATION GLOVES's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slicedsilurian

I wld agree it did decline, but that was down to the production team IMHO, Insisting on weird stories, dreadful costumes and telling the lead actor which way to portray The Doctor.JNT did not help at all by bringing in the likes of Ken Dodd, Hale & Pace etc..it just became totally unbelievable.

You, I would have agreed with you on the guest stars at one point. But watched in their right context, as a cameo role, they do actually work. I hadn't seen 'Delta' since it was first run on TV, when I got the vid I was surprised how good Doddy was. Hale and Pace weren't too bad either. It's always a gamble casting like that. I am still frequently gobsmaked at how utterly brilliant Nicholas Parsons was in 'Fenric'.

Duncan
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Chancellor

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  06:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
quote:
Is Sylvester McCoy Underated?

No he was PRETTY poor ,at the time he was just NOT enough of a good actor.( Especially at conveying Anger or being upset .)
Obviously as pointed out ,some of the Stories he was given didn't help.
Although in the 1996 DREADFUL Tv Movie he WAS the BEST thing in it.

quote:
how utterly brilliant Nicholas Parsons was in 'Fenric'.

Hi Duncan
He did Start of his career as a serious actor,although most people
would know him as the presenter of Sale of the Century or if you are
a OLD geezer like me ,providing the voice of Tex Tucker in Gerry Andersons ''Four Feather Falls ''.

all the BEST
Mick

The Dalek Maniac .... KEEPER OF THE GENESIS ARK
Go to Top of Page

Bobby M
Companion

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  12:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Bobby M's Homepage
I think he was the weakest doctor, but primarily because he was given the weakest material, which was infused with tacky new-romanticism. I think that if Colin Baker hadn't been kicked out and had carried on along his developing trajectory, then things would've worked out a lot better.

On the subject of people leaving their roles prematurely, Oh Eccles Cake, why?

Site moved to:
Go to Top of Page

jay
The Master

United Kingdom
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  14:37:44  Show Profile  Visit jay's Homepage
i have quite a soft spot for mccoy,i didnt like his first season but i thought his last two were very good,especially remembrance,gretest show and ghost light,as with all the periods of dr who there are some great stories and some dreadfull ones.
Go to Top of Page

drwhofan
Wholigans

United Kingdom
1016 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  08:11:33  Show Profile  Visit drwhofan's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jay

as with all the periods of dr who there are some great stories and some dreadfull ones.

Agree, it's like that with anything on tv.

Edited by - drwhofan on 10 Apr 2006 08:21:37
Go to Top of Page

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  18:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
Ah Mick! Four Feather Falls - fair brings a tear of nostalgia running down my leathery old cheeks..

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page

gemini2012
Mastered Materializing

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  05:50:15  Show Profile  Visit gemini2012's Homepage
I rather liked McCoy. I know a lot of people didn't, but I was quite saddned to see him go.
Go to Top of Page

drwhofan
Wholigans

United Kingdom
1016 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2006 :  04:09:31  Show Profile  Visit drwhofan's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by gemini2012

I rather liked McCoy. I know a lot of people didn't, but I was quite saddned to see him go.

Well Spoken.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2006 :  04:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by gemini2012

I was mainly saddened to see him go because I knew my favourite programme had just gone up in smoke big-time.

Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  17:41:49  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
He's my favourite Doctor.

Keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut.
Go to Top of Page

questionmark
Chancellor

United Kingdom
629 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  03:17:40  Show Profile  Visit questionmark's Homepage
Going up against Coronation Street didn't help!!!!
McCoy did well in the tv movie. If R.T.D writes a part for a former Dr to appear in the new series its McCoy and Sophie(ACE) i want to see back along side Tennant.
What do you think out there?
Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  14:31:57  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
McCoy back for a special would be the highlight of the season for me!

Go to Top of Page

The Master
Renegade Timelord

Argentina
1656 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  23:40:27  Show Profile  Visit The Master's Homepage
After the wave created by Tom Baker, Peter Davison rode it for a while, it started to fall and crashed with Colin Baker, the costume was almost enough to do it itself, then Sylvester McCoy was what was left washing up on the beach.... well it sounded good anyway, I actually like Syl, a step in the right direction after Colin Baker, but too late. He wasn't bad, but the writting at that time and the stories were just not that good. At that point they weren't able to bring it back right. I think Paul McGann was good, I'm kinda hopin they do some kinda pre-story fill in to the ninth Doctor, something with the time war to fill the gap between the "clasic series" and the "new" series. They could possibly even get a few more Eccleson episodes of before he met Rose.... sorry for all the digressing

"I am The Master... and you will obey me!"

Go to Top of Page

Big Show
Companion

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  23:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Big Show's Homepage
I liked McCoy (4 Feather falls you sure surely he isnt old enough) Ace was superb a great team as proven in the NA Books what couldd should of been not all the stupid happiness patrol rubbish i liked his 2 nd season love his 3rd

Theres no point being grown up if you cant be childish sometimes
Go to Top of Page

greystone_06
The Nth Doctor

United Kingdom
672 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  14:54:43  Show Profile  Visit greystone_06's Homepage
No I'm afraid Sylvester McCoy was in no way underrated. The main problem was he couldn't act. Oh he was ok in quiet moments, but the minute he was called upon to convay anger... I still have nightmares about that 'There will be no battle here!' scene in battlefield. Or the 'If we fight like animals we'll die like animals!' scene in the last one. Dear me, if you cast an actor to carry a show the basic requirement is: he should be able to act. But then he was cast by JNT who in fairness cast Colin Baker because he made him laugh at a wedding and Matthew Waterhouse as Adric.
Go to Top of Page

greystone_06
The Nth Doctor

United Kingdom
672 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  05:06:29  Show Profile  Visit greystone_06's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by greystone_06

No I'm afraid Sylvester McCoy was in no way underrated. The main problem was he couldn't act. Oh he was ok in quiet moments, but the minute he was called upon to convay anger... I still have nightmares about that 'There will be no battle here!' scene in battlefield. Or the 'If we fight like animals we'll die like animals!' scene in the last one. Dear me, if you cast an actor to carry a show the basic requirement is: he should be able to act. But then he was cast by JNT who in fairness cast Colin Baker because he made him laugh at a wedding and Matthew Waterhouse as Adric.

Wish I knew how to use this system better, all I seem to be able to do is reply to posts not create original ones. Would some kind sole please E-mail me with one or two pointers.
Go to Top of Page

drwhofan
Wholigans

United Kingdom
1016 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  12:02:29  Show Profile  Visit drwhofan's Homepage
Good old Sylvester McCoy.

Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  18:14:14  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
I am always a little bemused by the charge that McCoy couldn't act. Are we watching the same actor?- the one who in quiet contemplation buried the Omega device, in superb comedy timing outwitted the Gods of Ragnorock and in desperate anger and frustration explained to Ace what Fenric really was. I get a little short with this accusation- acting is the art of convincing and I am never unconvinced or unimpressed with the 7th Doctor. Plus I have seen him in theatre and he was pure class. Anyone who doubts his credentials needs to watch "Beyond Fear" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118269/ when he starred as the psychotic Michael Sams. He scared the bejesus out of me!

Edited by - roytromlley on 20 May 2006 20:50:14
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  03:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
I thought Sylvester McCoy was pretty good in The Movie, but apart from that, nah.

I have not seen him on stage, so cannot comment on that aspect of his career.

He was apparently quite good at stuffing a ferret down his trousers, though, and I certainly enjoyed him on TISWAS.

Edited by - Dalekfan on 21 May 2006 03:50:24
Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  08:00:02  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
His portrayal in the Movie was better than his time in the series? That is rather strange. Looks like the same character an actor to me- just off the set of Fenric.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  08:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by roytromlley

His portrayal in the Movie was better than his time in the series? That is rather strange. Looks like the same character an actor to me- just off the set of Fenric.

Each to their own, obviously, but that's not the way I saw it at all. McCoy's portrayal in The Movie had "grown up and matured" (even though it was brief), and was on a far higher plain than any of his earlier Who performances (I agree with Greystone06's comments above: when McCoy was "angry", he just didn't work for me at all).

Here he was pensive and a true mysterious "Time Lord". Oh, what could've been...

Shame he got shot so soon in The Movie!!!!

Edited by - Dalekfan on 21 May 2006 08:45:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      4:17:16 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com