Page: of 3

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  19:57:32  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brown

You know perfectly well Roy that the remake cannot connect to Doctor Who.

Is that a question or a statement?

quote:
It is one of the current plague of remake series flooding film and TV on both sides of the channel.

As I have stated elsewhere the new series is not a remake. Why do you keep calling it that?

quote:
I so wish that the quality of McCoy's Doctor Who could have been emulated in the kid's version, but no, ego trips and toy sales are the order of the day.

I don't think this needs a rebuttal.

quote:
I see you judge quality by the pound rather than any level of sophistication.

I'm afraid that you have wandered into the realms of fantasty on this one. I adore the new series as much as the old series but now I can justify my love of the new series with reference to its many awards and accolades. As for judging the quality of the final product I have not really considered the revenue it might make. I judge it on what I see on screen- and presumably those charming people who gave it a BAFTA did the same.

quote:
Cartmel had his flaws but he knew to reject the dross scripts that became the remake.

Are you saying Messrs Davies, Moffatt and Sherman submitted scripts to him during the late Eighties? Brown why have you sat on this revelation so long!?!

Keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut.

Edited by - roytromlley on 27 Oct 2007 19:58:17
Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  22:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
I am amazed that Doctor Who fans can be so venomous about the show they perport to love.

Ha! Coming from you that's a treat! All you have done here is mock the show and try to pick nonexistant holes in it. What are you like with things you don't like? The welsh antichrist who is to blame for the remake sent in scripts Cartmel could not use which he turned into his remake, source SFX mag. A remake is a new version of an original series, but disconnected to its continuity. Without continuity to the original it cannot be a continuation. Even the fundamental format is different, Dr Who is Science Fiction the remake is space fantasy. Rather like two different people with the same name. I cannot believe I have to explain something so basic.
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know perfectly well Roy that the remake cannot connect to Doctor Who.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that a question or a statement?

That is a statement, you admitted that they heavily contradict elsewhere. Questions end in question marks, e.g. ???
quote:
It is one of the current plague of remake series flooding film and TV on both sides of the channel.

As I have stated elsewhere the new series is not a remake. Why do you keep calling it that?

A remake is a new version of an original series, but disconnected to its continuity. Rather like two different people with the same name. I cannot believe I have to explain something so basic, actually I only wish I could not.
quote:
I so wish that the quality of McCoy's Doctor Who could have been emulated in the kid's version, but no, ego trips and toy sales are the order of the day.

I don't think this needs a rebuttal.

No, it just needs saying.
Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  22:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
This has gone waaaay away from topic. I will continue to defend Doctor Who on the specific topic for it.
Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2007 :  05:10:52  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
quote:

I am amazed that Doctor Who fans can be so venomous about the show they perport to love.

Ha! Coming from you that's a treat! All you have done here is mock the show and try to pick nonexistant holes in it.

You still haven't worked out quotations have you Brown. I haven't mocked the show Brown- all I've done it provided you with the opportunity to unintentionally mock yourself- an you are doing a sterling job

quote:
A remake is a new version of an original series, but disconnected to its continuity. Without continuity to the original it cannot be a continuation. Even the fundamental format is different, Dr Who is Science Fiction the remake is space fantasy. Rather like two different people with the same name. I cannot believe I have to explain something so basic.

Therefore all Elephants are pink. Brown is deep into the realms of fantasy now. The writers, the BBC, the viewing public think its the same series. I suppose Sarah Jane and K9 do too. To try and argue that the new series is nothing to do with the old series is not "basic" and you will have to do alot more explaining to convince me that it is.

quote:
That is a statement, you admitted that they heavily contradict elsewhere. Questions end in question marks, e.g. ???

I know they do. But since what you said was mind boggingly arrogant I assumed that it must be a question rather than a statement. Unhappily it seems your punctuation was spot on there.

quote:
No, it just needs saying.

Copied from another thread....

quote:

I have listened to nothing from you as all I get is printed text which I read.

Ergo you have "said" nothing.

Keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut.
Go to Top of Page

Fudge
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1821 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2007 :  09:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Fudge's Homepage
quote:

Hang on, Roy you don't actually mean you are trying to link the kids fantasy remake in with the original adult science fiction drama it took it's name from? Or do you mean the audio version, or print spin-offs?

The problem with seasons 25 and 26 is that at times it aspires to be adult science fiction and the reality is that the programme was never designed to be that way. Therefore it lost connection it's with it's core audience and inviteably ended up being cancelled. In fact it deserved to be cancelled.

Doctor Who used to be made by the BBC's drama department for children but had enough charm, character and orginality for adults to also enjoy. Now that it has been passed to BBC Wales, in my opinion, the programme has rediscovered what made it popular in the first place. In some ways Rob, I am in a better position to make a fair criticism as you have not watched the last two seasons. Perhaps if you get the DVD's of Paul Cornells and Moffats episodes from this year you will be pleasantly suprised to how sophisticated Doctor Who can be.
Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  19:41:52  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
To be fair to the initiator of this post it should at least finish on the original topic, and not the dire remake of it.

In truth the best way to judge the last 3 seasons and the final TV movie (I always put the last Dr stuff in with the 7ths) is to compare it with its contemporaries. Science fiction was being purged from our screens and has still yet to return. Dr Who starring McCoy was right to the last the best thing on TV. The flaws it contained appear writ large in later TV programmes, who had to face less criticism with an empty field. I cannot say that I liked Ace, but an attempt was made to develop the last companion character.

Edited by - Brown on 24 Dec 2007 19:18:54
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  13:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
To widen the scope of the initial post, I think that 'Who' during the 80s is generally underrated. I certainly prefer this period to anything the Pertwee episodes have to offer between seasons 8 to 11.

For me, a lot of this is down to the 'wisdom' of the elder fans in the 80s telling us how great 60s / 70s 'Who' was (and a lot of it is) and that 80s 'Who' was crap in comparison (which a lot of it isn't).

As for McCoy's performance; he didn't have enough time to shoot his episodes (compare his performance in 87-89 to that in 96, which I personally think is much better), and the show was going through turmoil behind-the-scenes. None of this can have helped.

Edited by - Paul on 24 Dec 2007 13:35:29
Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  19:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
I watched the Happiness Patrol today. Strangely I find that the best part of it is the questions it raises. Beneath the camp look there were some fascinating ideas being used. Once you stop and realise that the whole thing looks fake because it represents a fake, facile society without a philosophy and about to collapse with or without the Doctor's help. The Orwellian overtones are obvious, as is the direct comparison to Stalinism. All along it reeks of great potential, had it been executed in a more subtle style it would have been a classic. The 'waiting zone' and the protestors false laughter to avoid incarceration were great highlights.
Go to Top of Page

Nick1701
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  13:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Nick1701's Homepage
I really enjoyed McCoys time in the TARDIS, and it produced one of my favourite stories ( Rememberence of the Daleks) I always felt that McCoy added a new dimension to the Doctor, and element of mystery. There was a slight feeling that his Doctor was more than he appeared. I cannot recall the episode, but Ace asks him " Doctor, who are you?" he simply smiles, and hushes her gently. It made me feel, " who really is this character?, what is he really capable of?"

It's just a shame that he didnt get the chance to develop this further.

"there is no dark side of the moon, for in truth it is all dark" Pink Floyd
Go to Top of Page

dalej
Target Art Curator

1890 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  15:59:32  Show Profile  Visit dalej's Homepage
I think McCoy was a fine actor in Doctor Who, the stories during his time were not always the best, but he did the best he could. In my opinion he was brilliant in the " TV Movie" as a Timelord who knew he was on borrowed time( No Pun intended) Over the years, I have actually become more of a fan of the 7th Doctor, he did have a certain air of mystery about him! It always left me wanting more
Go to Top of Page

Kroll_2008
Chancellor

United Kingdom
669 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  18:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Kroll_2008's Homepage
better audio doctor in my opinion...

Five Rounds Rapid!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  14:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
no.
Go to Top of Page

Phar Lap
Mastered Materializing

46 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  05:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Phar Lap's Homepage
he is a great Doctor until he goes over the top. if he is given a good script where he can't do that, he puts in a good performance. When that happens, he is definately underrated
Go to Top of Page

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  15:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by frankiewilliams

He brings a sense of adventure which alot of the doctors don't have. The way he says his words so fast, as he's building up to a climax, is very well acted.
Just becuase he was the last Doctor in the television run, doesn't mean that he was rubbish, does it?

Well I think no. He is a truely good actor, and plays the role very well indeed.

I'm sorry Frankie, but the term good acting and Sly McCoy just don't go together. McCoy is responsible for some of the worst acting ever witnessed in DW. Cringmaking and shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Pat Troughton.

Edited by - Regeneration on 27 Oct 2009 15:09:04
Go to Top of Page

blitzbob
Obtained a Time Capsule

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  08:57:01  Show Profile  Visit blitzbob's Homepage
I started with who in the 60s. They were all good. real Who. not like the rubbish we have now. and that new master.Rubbish. Sylvester was a good Doc, from better times.
Go to Top of Page

BlazeXploder
Companion

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:07:56  Show Profile  Visit BlazeXploder's Homepage
I think he takes away that mystique that gave dr who its power to keep us watching. I constantly saw just the 80s, and the other doctors really gave a mix!

Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  17:18:23  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
Mccoy, excellent, very underrated, Curse of Fenric one of the best stories ever, and Mccoy excellent. The bit where the haemovores break in and he wills them away reciting the names of previous companions, mesmerising. The sniper sequence in Greatest show, remembrance in the cafe. Great stuff!
Go to Top of Page

BlazeXploder
Companion

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  08:49:56  Show Profile  Visit BlazeXploder's Homepage
Dr who was meant to be a show with no Bug eyed monsters. The Bug eyed monsters were rreeeaaaallly bug eyed by McCoy.

Plus, The costumes just werent up to it. The leopard people looked like a cheap leopard mask on sme leopard skin trousers and jacket. I couldve made some of those costumes!!!
Go to Top of Page

nimrod
Timelord

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  11:01:47  Show Profile  Visit nimrod's Homepage
Duralinium 1. YES you are right, they are great scenes and there are countless others.

McCoy was the most interesting portrayal of the Doctor Since Tom. He puts Davison and C.Baker to shame. Great stories too

Hi
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  03:34:43  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
Thanks mate, couldn't agree more. met Mccoy outside Forbidden planet in London many moons ago. he was the soul of courtesy! excellent Dr
best Dave
Go to Top of Page

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  12:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by roytromlley

Really? Personally I love the quality in the show, ranging from acting to direction to scripting. I don't blindly love it because it's got DW in the title sequence. I'm aware of all the 'Each to his own' PC crap, but it's the inability to distinguish good from terrible that puzzles me. I.E. 'Pyramids of Mars' 'Horns of the Nimon'... 'Power of the Daleks' 'Underwater Menace'... need I go on?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      5:52:17 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com