Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  09:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan

Some details now up on Strictly Ink's website:

http://www.strictlyink.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=89

Thanks for the link Steven. Tried to resist but ended up purchasing 3 boxes; as with the last mono set the temptation of 1 sketch per box proved to be irresistable. I just hope I don't end up regretting it . . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  10:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Good luck with your pulls, Paul.

I may buy a couple of boxes in due course (but not from Strictly Ink), but I'm disappointed that ALL the sketches are in black & white...unless I'm reading it wrong.

Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  18:41:51  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage
Far be it for me to doubt Strictly Ink's intentions, but I seem to remeber that the original issue of Big Screen Additions was due to be 2499 and was subsequently reduced to 1499. I also remember reading somewhere that was to give the best quality sketches possible.

Somewhere along the line sketches from Tom Hodges and RAM were not inserted and we never have seen a Dalek card from Nik, despite him having said that he had done some. I am wondering if this release is in fact where all of the "missing" cards will be. Well except the ones that Barrie auctions to maximise his profits of course.

It does indeed look as though the sketch cards will be Black and white to match the set.

On a plus note the box price seems to be fair compared to Trilogy Monochrome, so I may have to partake. Dalekfan, would you please e-mail me regarding sources other than directly from Strictly Ink as I do not want to use them if at all possible, I think after the recent auctions of non inserted sketch cards they deserve the fate of Inkworks and do not wish to support them directly.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  04:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
As I've said on the NSU Forum previously, IMHO it's potty doing a monochrome release for the Dalek's Big Screen outings because they were all about glorious colour!!!

Black and white packaging will cost Barrie a lot less, so I assume that's the reason.

Go to Top of Page

Ian
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  08:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Ian's Homepage
Its the same images right, just in monochrome? Cause there was so much colour in that set in the first place...

'highly demanded Dr Who Big Screen Mono'

Which of you have been demanding it then

Edited by - Ian on 31 Mar 2009 08:50:02
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  10:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
quote:

Good luck with your pulls, Paul.

I may buy a couple of boxes in due course (but not from Strictly Ink), but I'm disappointed that ALL the sketches are in black & white...unless I'm reading it wrong.

PM sent Steven.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  10:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Reply sent, Paul.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  05:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
I just hope there's something different in this set that wasn't in the last one. There were only 3 autos which were very easy to get and none were particulally limited, every box has a gold ink auto, of which there are already hundreds doing the rounds. The last lot of base cards were mono, they just had an orange flash across the bottom of them but maybe the pictures on the back will be in mono this time. To be honest, if it's no different to the previous set, I'd rather cut the rest out and just buy a numbered packet with a sketch in.
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  07:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
Apparently Sean Pence is on board for this set
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  13:57:16  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage
I'll bet Barrie has been watching the ACEO and Inkworks tryout prices go through the roof and thought well if I put a few of those in my "collection", I can e-bay em later for mega bucks.

Sorry, no faith in the guy, Barrie that is not Mr Pence, who is a top notch artist.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  14:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
I've been trying to get some more info before commiting to any boxes for this set. Apparently there are a "few more suprises that will be announced over the coming weeks" so maybe a few different artists, I don't know. So many other companies are raising the bar with their inserts, it would be nice if the mono set had something else to offer other than the same autos, foils, and black and white base cards. At least every box has a sketch this time!!!

At least with the Big Screen set quite a few of the Martineck and Hack sketches were pack pulled so fingers crossed Jaseb!!
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  03:39:55  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage
With the release of the mono sets 999 sketches will we see another crash in value on these apart from the new artists?

Go to Top of Page

Don Pedicini Jr.
Mastered Materializing

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  19:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Don Pedicini Jr.'s Homepage
Question concerning this mono set
What would you want to see sketch card wise that you haven't seen in the previous set...
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  03:17:35  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage
This is what dalekfan said in a post.

quote:
And for me, the sketch cards are too samey in subject matter, generally speaking. I mean, who drew the old ladies who double-crossed the heroes to the Daleks, or the outside of the mine, or the mine control room, or a good shot of the Dalek city, or the cool sequence with the mirrors being used by the Thals etc etc etc....

A Tom sketch helping the bank robbers from the start of earth invasion and a Tom catching the robbers from the end of the film would make a nice little set. How many sketches are you doing this time Don and do you know any of the other artists that will be on the set.

Go to Top of Page

Hack
Obtained a Time Capsule

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  15:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Hack's Homepage
It turns out that I'll be doing some cards for this set. I got my cards the other day. 50 for the set and a few blanks for myself.

I didn't think I'd be on the Mono set at all because of all of the comic book work I'm doing but it turns out that I can't say 'no' to Doctor Who. I only have 13 more to ink so I'll probably finish my cards today. I may have a few personal cards for sale that I drew as warm-up sketches this week.

Also, in what can only be described at shameless self-promotion, I'll be doing more covers for the IDW's Doctor Who reprint comics- Series 2 #'s 11-13.
Go to Top of Page

Don Pedicini Jr.
Mastered Materializing

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  10:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Don Pedicini Jr.'s Homepage
I am also doing 50 and I have some blanks for myself as well. I know of 4 other artists but I cannot say who yet (no pun intended). I don't want to say and would rather barrie or they say it. You should be very happy with whom Barrie has chosen for this set...
Go to Top of Page

jedipencil
Mastered Materializing

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  14:51:50  Show Profile  Visit jedipencil's Homepage
I'm doing 30 for this set....
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  15:03:56  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage
Is there any differance between the addition blanks and the mono blanks?

Go to Top of Page

Don Pedicini Jr.
Mastered Materializing

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2009 :  15:55:27  Show Profile  Visit Don Pedicini Jr.'s Homepage
They are graytone on the bottom and the back...
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  12:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
Here's a list of the artists give or take a couple, Barrie said it was okay to release them:

Nick Neocleous
Gary Ochiltree
Chris Henderson
Don Pedocini, Jr
Jason Davies
Sean Pence
Kevin Graham
Carolyn Edwards
Robert Aragon
Robert Hack
Andrew Fry
Potratz & Hai
Daniel Bergren
Sarah Lyons
Jed Raven
Leah Mangue
Ryan Orosco
Jim Kyle
Kyle Babbit
Jessica Hickman
Ingrid Hardy
Rich Molinelli
Amy Pronovost
James Macneil
Joe Corroney
Sarah Wilkinson

Sketches will be posted on the new SI website which should be in 1-2 weeks time. There are about 1100 sketches in total for this set. I don't think any artist will be doing more than 50 sketches each and that there shouldn't be any duplicate artists in a case, well Barrie's reckoning that 2 cases should virtually give you one of each artist on the set.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  03:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Thanks for that info.

Presumably a couple of artists will be added after release who will do 1 or 2 each.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  04:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
Probably Dalekfan, Len Bellinger's name was also mentioned as a possible. Potratz and Hai are great artists, I think Craig had a commision done by them. I've seen some of their work on Indiana Jones and LOTR and it's brilliant. I think Potratz draws the picture and Hai paints it. Sean Pence is another great artist with a big following.
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  12:55:15  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage
Not forgetting to mention the obligitory 100 or so extra sketch cards that will magically appear on e-bay, by the best artists of course. There is a amazing sketch up on Strictlys holding page at the moment that I have no doubt Barrie will be lucky enough to pull and sell off later for a tidy profit W*NKER!!

(Once again apologies to mods - if necessary edit the final word, but please not the whole post)

Edited by - jaseb on 01 Jul 2009 12:58:02
Go to Top of Page

darthwho
Timelord

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  13:07:34  Show Profile  Visit darthwho's Homepage
Just noticed a certain Mr Fry's up there bet they're gonna be good.....

Edited by - darthwho on 01 Jul 2009 13:08:11
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  04:35:07  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
If all the sketches do go in the boxes, and with only 1000 boxes being produced, this could actually be a really hot set. Many of those artists have a huge following in the US, also the autographs will be on the new mono cards as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:20:15 PM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com