The husbands of river song
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2015 :  18:07:37  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well that was another waste of my precious time, apart from the lovely bigger on the inside speech! Self indulgent, boring tripe! I fell asleep again, Capaldi is so good, but the stories are not any form of Dr Who I recognise

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2015 :  22:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I thought it funny and exciting and not much like some of the xmas specials of past times.. The bigger on the inside speech was brilliant and as usual River was fantastic.

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

The Saint
Obtained a Time Capsule

74 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2015 :  06:03:30  Show Profile  Visit The Saint's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was completely silly, and made little sense. That said it was quite fun, well directed, with good turns from both Capaldi, and Kingston (who stole the show )7/10
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2015 :  08:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the perfect programme to watch at 5.15pm on Christmas Day after eating a huge Christmas Dinner

Harking back to the tradition for occasional, relatively nonsensical storylines that was established back in the William Hartnell days was nice to see. In case anyone is not sure what I'm talking about there, two examples immediately spring to mind. The Meddling Monk which had Peter Butterworth's character looking to change history by giving Harold modern day weapons so he could win the Battle of Hastings and finished with the Doctor tampering humourously with the Monk's Tardis so the interior dimensions reflected the exterior size of the ship. The scene where the Mink discovers what has been done made me smile when I first watched it and still does. The other was The Chase which ended with the Daleks being tossed around by Frankenstein's Monster in a haunted house. You can't get much sillier than that really

Anyway, I liked the nods to the work of Douglas Adams but mostly I liked the way the story gave River Song a proper farewell appearance after her fade out in a Matt Smith story. The dinner at the end where she got her sonic screwdriver from the Doctor was excellent. A nice wrap up and as close to a happy ending as was possible. Well done to all involved and roll on the next series.

Oh yes, I quite enjoyed the Christmas makeover given to the title sequence.

One size does NOT fit all

Edited by - Qexit on 27 Dec 2015 08:47:38
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2015 :  08:01:02  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally got to watch it on iPlayer this morning.

I dislike the use of comedians and comic actors, (I think ever since Ken Dodd got into it!) and the whole thing was all a bit silly.

But its Christmas. And Capaldi was his usual excellent self.

And I watched it from start to finish.

And as Kevin has rightly pointed out, pretty well anything can happen in a seasonal episode.

And so, I think it was absolutely fine

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      4:19:42 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com