Xmas 2016: The Return of Doctor Mysterio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2016 :  22:00:11  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just watched it. (Also just noticed this Forum still calls this 'The New Series'!)

I understood it, which is quite something for me, in the after-RTD era.

I started having trouble understanding it once Mr M took over, though there were a few highlight shows I loved.

So back to Mysterio. VERY lavish production values. Shot in feature film style. Nothing wrong with that.

I gather from The Guardian: "Doctor Mysterio is what the show is called in Mexico. Peter Capaldi was so enamoured with the name he kept reciting it with a theatrical flourish. Moffat named the episode so he could recite it with a flourish on camera".

I liked it. Clever storyline.

Whilst admiring Matt Lucas as a great comic actor, I'm still not sure its a great idea putting comedy actors in as companions.

He played the part well....but I was always seeing Matt Lucas, not the character he was playing. Donna Noble worked for me in her time, because I'd never seen the Catherine Tate show before, so she was a fresh face for me, and made an excellent companion to DT.

Mr C was superb, as usual. I've always said he was born for this part, and he continues to prove it.

The 'look forward' flashes at the end promise Daleks and allsorts, so it'll be interesting.

The new companion, yet to be introduced, looks very promising. And she's not a famous comic.

Chris Balcombe

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2016 :  23:21:39  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I have to say I liked it as well. A lot of humour and yes I managed to keep up with the story.Funny place to keep a gun I thought but liked the split heads.Next series does look like it might be good hopefully.I think Peter is getting better and better as the DR.
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2016 :  09:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too really enjoyed it however I wondered why they didn't mention that these "head splitters" were from the same race that appeared in last years Christmas special unless they did and I missed it or that they were of a similar race..
The mention of River song was nice and the small line about how Nardole came to be considering he was just a head last time we met..
anyway it was a nice little romp ripping off Superman nicely with some great humour in it. The trailer of coming soon was great. cant wait to see what we can expect. bring it on...

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2016 :  14:35:46  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I enjoyed this one too. Perfect Christmas Day entertainment, and even the mother-in-law could understand the plot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:08:15 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com