Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  16:00:00  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage
Strictly Ink's website now says release 26 August and shipping no later than 27 August.

I got two more sketches today from Jed Raven.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  15:13:14  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
Found out today that the binders have been cancelled. I was supposed to be getting some which I was giving free to case buyers so I'm hoping I might get some sort of replacement instead.
Go to Top of Page

IanG
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  03:30:11  Show Profile  Visit IanG's Homepage
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Mcneil sketches as according to Barrie they were binder incentives. I'd like to think that maybe they could be issued as case toppers depending on how many were produced. Having said that the reality is that they will probably turn up on Ebay.
Also has anybody got any ideas as to the reason for the cancellation of the binders, i'm guessing lack of interest from the dealers?

Edited by - IanG on 21 Aug 2009 03:41:43
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  03:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Presumably the binders just didn't prove financially viable. With a few notable exceptions, official binders are notoriously difficult to shift.

Personally I'm disappointed as a nice binder really rounds off a set for me. As it is, I'll have to use a generic binder. What is everyone else doing?

Edited by - Dalekfan on 21 Aug 2009 04:15:35
Go to Top of Page

IanG
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  06:00:27  Show Profile  Visit IanG's Homepage
As far as this set is concerned, considering that each case was going to come with a binder, that would have taken care of the best part of 100 of them. I would have thought that there would be at least another couple of hundred collectors out there interested in this set, in which case surely it would be viable to produce 300 binders. There again perhaps I'm in a minority that considers the official binder a vital part of any trading set regardless of any exclusive cards it may come with.

As regards storage I will just have to store mine in my Big Screen Additions binder.
Go to Top of Page

Iwho
Chancellor

569 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  06:09:53  Show Profile  Visit Iwho's Homepage
I like a nice binder.

Edison and the Minnows
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  06:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
It's certainly the case that smaller numbers of binders (for both Strictly Ink and other smaller producers) have been financially viable in the past. Clearly they aren't now.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  07:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
For me it just wasn't financially viable to get a load of these binders in, the prices drop off too quickly and then they end up on ebay for £5 each. I think it was down to dealers not taking the offer up.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  08:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Fair enough.

If I was producing a binder though I'd roughly produce on the number pre-ordered (to avoid the EBay scenario Jason mentions) and I'd also:

(a) always include a binder-only card

and

(b) number the binders!

...just an idea.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  14:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
It's still annoying as I was offered some free binders to give to case buyers and I hate letting people down . Dalekfan is right, in the past some binders had an exclusive auto which always helped sales. Hammer Horror carried an Ingrid Pitt auto so everyone purchased a binder to complete there auto collection. I believe in the past other Who releases also carried a free auto with the binder.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  15:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Fret not mate, not your fault. Your concern just proves what a decent guy you are!

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  09:33:00  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
You say the sweetest things Steven.

Found out today that Barrie won't be getting the boxes until this Friday as it's taken a bit longer with sketch, gold cards and autos being hand inserted, so shipping will probably start Monday. As I'm going on holiday this week I will probably collect my cases on the Friday and will arrange for collection from my office on the following Monday so not to hold things up. I'll update box/case buyers personally on Friday before I go.
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  17:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
Release date is confirmed for Friday 28th so I'll be picking my cases up in the morning. After I've booked cases/boxes out for collection I'll break one of mine and will let you guys know how I fare. If I struggle to upload a scan then I might see if Dalekfan can help me out
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  03:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas

Release date is confirmed for Friday 28th so I'll be picking my cases up in the morning. After I've booked cases/boxes out for collection I'll break one of mine and will let you guys know how I fare. If I struggle to upload a scan then I might see if Dalekfan can help me out

I'm always there to help you, mate.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  11:45:24  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Doctor Jas is on with his case opening, and as promised here are his first sketches. Didn't he do well?: The Aragon 3 panel was found across 3 boxes in the case, which is great news!!!

Packaging is the same as the previous release, autos also the same and foils are 3 per box. 3 autos, same as before:

Jason will post box numbers later.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  12:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
Thanks for doing that for me Steven, case breaks are as follows:

081 Orosco Redemption
082 Potratz and Hai sketch + Tovey Auto
083 Aragon sketch (part 1)
084 Aragon sketch (part 2)
085 Aragon sketch (part 3)
086 Bergren sketch + Tovey Auto
087 Henderson sketch
088 Lyons sketch
089 Aragon sketch (Dalek)
090 Wilkinson Redemption + Bown auto

Would have been nice to have had another artist instead of another Aragon sketch but it's a cool dalek. My 10 case incentive was a Henderson panoramic sketch.
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  12:41:25  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage
You got some nice sketches there Jason. It's a shame that there's redemptions in the boxes and 4 of one artist in a case will make it hard for those looking for a card from each artist. There was a few 3 card sets done by artists.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  13:41:13  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
I know Craig, that single Aragon sketch was supposed to have been a Sean Pence one, it's probably slipped into the wrong case!!!!! Very pleased to actually have a complete 3 panel though.
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  14:08:35  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage
OK release date is here so I can now officially show the two commissions that I have in hand. One from Sarah Lyons on the left and Robert Aragon's on the right. I am sticking with a Dalek theme seeing as I did not do so well with them on the unmono (well a bit of colour...ish) release.

So there we have it more to come...

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  15:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Great Daleks Jase, you lucky man!

Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  15:42:38  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage
So this is the place where you all hang out to escape from NSU Thanks to Doctor Jas for patiently pointing me in this direction.

jaseb A nice pair of commission sketches you have there. The Sarah Lyons card especially good. Put simply, it has everything (assuming the Doctor and Co are on board either the Tardis or Dalek spaceship ) One of the really nice things with commissioning a sketch card is you get to decide what goes on it rather than taking potluck with a pull from a box, so you always get what you wanted

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  16:10:48  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage
Thanks guys

Sarah was an absolute joy to work with. She sent me regular updates with preliminary sketches attached to the e-mails and when the card arrived she sent all of the pencil roughs with it, great artist.

And here they are:

At this stage I asked Sarah to change the font and she obliged...

And onto the final inks before colouring...

The finished card is posted above. As I said Sarah was very easy to work with and I highly reccomend getting a card from her direct if you do not pull one.

Robert Aragon was slightly different, I gave him the brief, he ran with it and produced a ace card without any consultation. Both cards are fantastic in different ways, which is how it should be. In fact I didn't see Robert's card until it arrived in the post along with a couple of non-who bits I commissioned. Again Robert is highly reccomended and is a consumate professional.

The other artists are proving to be a little more, shall we say hard work. One in particular promised a card within a certain timescale and has not even bothered to contact me until I mailed him and promptly changed his own deadline. I don't like things like that and I will comment more once I have the card (if I ever get the damn thing).

Edited by - jaseb on 28 Aug 2009 18:43:51
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  18:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage
Hi Kevin, you made it here at last!!! Good to have you join us and look forward to seeing your case breaks.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  04:22:15  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
As Jaseb knows I'm concentrating much now on Dalek sketches, so I'm particularly in awe of that Sarah Lyons Dalek.

...and welcome aboard Kevin. Great to have your input here.

Edited by - Dalekfan on 29 Aug 2009 04:23:08
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  04:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage
Jaseb, sorry to hear you're having a few problems with your commission work. I've had several commission pieces done recently for my Harryhausen card collection and they've all gone very smoothly. The artists have all been pleasant and easy to deal with. So I can pass on my recommendations for Carolyn Edwards and Gary Ochiltree here in the UK and Robert Hack and Chris Henderson over the pond in the States. My only problem with any of them has been Virgin Media's over active spam filters swallowing up some of their emails before I spotted what was happening I wont be going for any Dr Who commissions, instead I'm just going to see what turns up in the order I'm awaiting from SI.

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      3:18:29 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com