Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  03:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave up on a Master set of artists quite a while ago, Craig.

As promised, here are Doctor Jas' redemptions. Unsurprisingly I really like the Dalek:

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  04:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Louise sketch was sent in error, Barrie was really quick to sort that out and will be sending the correct card out to it's rightful owner.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  04:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Send it on to me mate. I'm Mr Error.

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  13:32:49  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas

The Louise sketch was sent in error, Barrie was really quick to sort that out and will be sending the correct card out to it's rightful owner.

Only the doctor card was on the scan of the Wilkinsons that you said you would be getting from Barrie. Was the other one change as well.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  04:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No Craig I asked if I could keep that one as it was better
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  07:41:13  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still no redemption card for me so I resent the scan of the redemption. I also asked about my missing autos and sent in scans for a set of autos from my additions boxes.

Go to Top of Page

IanG
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  10:08:32  Show Profile  Visit IanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sittin9 Duck

Still no redemption card for me so I resent the scan of the redemption.

I tried that last week as the only response I got from Barrie when I sent my scan originally was an automated e-mail saying he was on holiday and would contact me on his return. Guess what, no response to this scan either.

Maybe it's because i'm not a dealer that he's not bothered as it does seem that the only guys that have received their redemptions are those that bought multiple cases.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  05:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone had their redemptions honoured by Barrie yet??

On the subject of Pence sketches: clearly the only realistic way of getting one of his pack-inserted sketches is by box-pulling one yourself, as the ones on the 'Bay are set at prices too high to sell to anyone...

Go to Top of Page

IanG
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  07:01:11  Show Profile  Visit IanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan

Anyone had their redemptions honoured by Barrie yet??

Finally got my Orosco sketch of a gold Dalek from Barrie this morning after waiting six weeks. Having said that it was definately worth the wait as having seen some of the other Orosco redemptions on here and on Ebay and a number of sketches uploaded on another site it's in my opinion one of his better efforts.

BTW I did try to upload a scan of it as I've not seen an image of it elsewhere but no joy, I might see if Dalekfan will be kind enough to upload it on my behalf.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  07:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pleased you got it, Ian.

Happy to help with your download if you wish.

Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  07:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
On the subject of Pence sketches: clearly the only realistic way of getting one of his pack-inserted sketches is by box-pulling one yourself, as the ones on the 'Bay are set at prices too high to sell to anyone...

Until this morning I would have agreed with you. However, there is now a single Pence Mono sketch up on eBay with a $0.99 starting price. It will probably still end on an out of reach price as it is one of the artist's return cards posted by Sean Pence himself. I would really like that sketch though

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  07:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ian's luvverley Dalek:

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  14:19:44  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which Mono artist is this please?:

Edited by - Dalekfan on 20 Oct 2009 14:37:02
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  15:11:45  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which Mono artist is this please?:

Kyle Babbit. He did say over on Scoundrel that he had all sorts of problems working on these cards.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  03:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for solving. I knew who it wasn't, but I was really struggling with the signature and of course there's no initials etc on the front.

What sort of problems did he have?

Interesting to note that there aren't any of his Who sketches on the 'Bay...

Edited by - Dalekfan on 21 Oct 2009 06:56:24
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  07:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What sort of problems did he have?
To quote from him over on Scoundrel:

"I just could not get the slick surface to work with anything I tried."

quote:

Interesting to note that there aren't any of his Who sketches on the 'Bay...

I grabbed all of the images posted up on the Strictly Ink site for this set and I think it's fair to say that one reason none of his sketches are up on eBay is because a lot of them weren't very good. I have seen a few on there, including one of William Hartnell ! He only did 35, so they're also in slightly short supply.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  07:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, Kevin. There doesn't seem much fundamentally wrong with the Dalek above, other than it's rather bereft of detail but hey, there are plenty of sketches like that!

Did he do any official colour sketches? He's really an artist I know nothing at all about, I'm sorry to say.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  11:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you look up some of his Star Wars Galaxy 4 sketches you'd think there were 2 different artists. His Galaxy 4 sketches were simply awesome. There again I would also say that JP/JH have produced better work on other sets.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  11:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does it just come down to an artist's individual drawing style as to whether they coped with the SI cards? Some artists seem to cope without problems, some overcome issues and seem to cope, and others really struggled...

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  13:50:13  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The two return cards I got from Kyle Babbitt are much better than his set card but then he probably spent a lot more time on them. When emailing him about them he said

" I really wanted to do some great cards for this set, but the stock just wouldn't have it. If Barrie changes the stock and asks me again I will gladly make up for it. I actually did something different with your card and used mainly colored pencils, something I never do. It seemed to work a lot better but took a lot longer."

I hope Barrie can sort out the card stock so the artists can do there best work.

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  03:04:43  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I emailed Kyle Babbitt and mentioned this discussion and he asked me to post this reply.

"Hey guys, Craig brought this topic to my attention and hopefully he can post my response to a few of the questions. When I was first approached by Barrie about working on this set I told him that I was extremely busy and would only be available to do s small amount of pencil sketches. Upon receiving the stock I found that it was still the old slick laminated surface. This stock makes it extremely difficult for anything to stick, pencils smear and markers bubble up taking hours to dry. This is a bit difficult when my style depends heavily on blending which requires the marker to soak into the surface.

As to why other artists can adapt to the different stock so well, it really depends on a few factors. Some artists have been working with Barrie for a while now, so they have gotten use to the stock or have found a few tricks to make it more workable like sanding down the top layer of the card. Also some artists use different mediums as well as different brands of materials which work better then others on different surfaces.

If anyone pulls one of my cards and is not happy with it I will gladly do a sketch for you on my personal stock, I just ask that you pay shipping. You can contact me at yodababbitt13@yahoo.com"

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  03:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Craig, thank you for taking the trouble to contact Kyle, and thank you also to Kyle for his detailed and honest response.

Information and assistance from Collectors and Artists alike is what makes this Forum so rich in knowledge and such a warm place to be.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  14:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Doctor Jas and a friendly US Collector, I have been able to reunite my pack pull with the other half to make up these Robert Aragon Daleks:

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  14:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At last the lovely couple are reunited!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  15:55:34  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They look great together and looking forward to seeing all your cards together on your collectors page.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      3:22:15 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com