Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  19:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only Barrie left at SI, Elisabeth not with them any more. Kevin's right about the Cushing sketches, probably why we didn't see any on JP/JH return cards!!
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  19:42:55  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although the quality of the sketches is high across the set with the card stock and maybe tight deadlines to get them done, the sketch could have been even better. The JP/JH sketches don't seem to be as good as the sketches they have done for other sets but they are still very good. It may have also been a lack of reference and knowledge of the subject.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  04:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that part of the problem is that the main publicity stills from the films that are in circulation (that have been used by the artists for reference material in many cases) are well known and therefore feel repetitive to see simply because everyone knows them.

I'd've liked to have seen some sketches reflect the psychadelia era they came from: perhaps those groovy lava lamps, or even the Dalek countdown clock from the first film: I love the slanty typeface used on that.

The films ARE the 60s for me!!!

Go to Top of Page

IanG
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  11:23:11  Show Profile  Visit IanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Qexit

A bit, well actually a lot OT for this thread, but I don't think I can afford to post any more collector friendly sketch card starting prices on eBay My first two cards just went at give away prices

I was lucky enough to win the auction for the Carolyn Edwards sketch and although I'm not complaining I am amazed it only went for £14.59. I appreciate that as she produced 80 sketches anyone looking to complete a master set is less likely to be chasing a Carolyn Edwards than say a Sean Pence, however I would still have expected that sketch to have gone for considerably more bearing in mind that currently sealed boxes are going for well over £30. Whilst I agree to a certain extent about the subject matter playing a part in whether or not particular sketches fetch a decent amount I also feel that the sheer volume of sketches produced for this release will have a negative effect with only the really top end sketches and artists who have produced very limited quantities fetching the big money.

If you take Kevin Graham as an example. With him only producing 15 sketches, I would expect any sketch regardless of subject matter listed on Ebay to fetch a very good price. Obviously that assumption is based on their being more than 15 collectors looking to complete a master set which I honestly think there are.
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  11:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very hard to say on the prices, Ochiltree only did 21 yet one of his sketches went for a tad of £30 in an auction. The biggest shocker for me was seeing one of Andy Fry's return sketches sell for £30 when I got double for a similar one. Perhaps I'm more sought after as a seller
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  11:51:53  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is OK saying that Kevin Graham only produced 15 cards, we don't know if he has any blanks. Most of the images he has produced for the set are based on card either in the previous set or commissions, the only reason for their percieved value is the scarcity factor. I expect he was on a tight deadline. Mr McNeil has no blanks available, I asked him.

Edited by - jaseb on 12 Sep 2009 14:28:48
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  12:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, most of Kevin's images for this set were lifted from commission images he previously did for me in colour/partial colour.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  14:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right about the McNeil sketches, very scarce IMO but will probably fetch £30-£40, although 1 nice sketch went for £45. McNeil appears to use a similar technique to JP/PH where the face of the subject seems to be painted and markers used for the background. Are we sure there's only 20 as there are certainly a few about when you consider that these are scarcer than a Pence sketch!!
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  15:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just looking back it appears that 4 McNeils came out in the first 23 boxes (boxes 6,12,17, and 23) with the next one appearing in Craigs case and then nothing after that. If he only did 20 then I should consider myself lucky to get 10% of his sketches in just one case. I don't think they'll make as much as those common Pence sketches
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  15:22:54  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, definately only 20 and the Thal one you have on the bay at the moment is 1 of a 2 part sketch. I have scans of all the cards he did and as I said earlier he has no blanks. Apparantly because he did not do his 25 Barrie said that he could not have them.

I quite like his style it reminds me of abstract work in the nicest possible way. I think as an artists first set it is not half bad, room for improvement but a welcome addition to the divercity of the set as a whole.

Thinking of the set as a whole Barrie has put together quite an amazing diverse array of talent, 3 artists who have never done an official set before (McNeil, Fry & Lyons), 4 Heavyweight well established artists whose work is well renowned and collectable in it's own right never mind the Doctor Who collectors (Pence, Potratz & Jai, Bergren & Corroney) another 3 new artist to Strictly Ink (Babbit, Davies and Raven) and the main artists behind the previous sets. Quite an accomplishment realy.

Shame he is a To$$er.

Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  15:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas

Just looking back it appears that 4 McNeils came out in the first 23 boxes (boxes 6,12,17, and 23) with the next one appearing in Craigs case and then nothing after that.

Except for the one I found in box 72

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  15:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb

Thinking of the set as a whole Barrie has put together quite an amazing diverse array of talent, 3 artists who have never done an official set before (McNeil, Fry & Lyons), 4 Heavyweight well established artists whose work is well renowned and collectable in it's own right never mind the Doctor Who collectors (Pence, Potratz & Jai, Bergren & Corroney) another 3 new artist to Strictly Ink (Babbit, Davies and Raven) and the main artists behind the previous sets. Quite an accomplishment realy.

Babbit contributed to the Strictly Ink Harryhausen Sketch set. I know, I've got two of his cards

Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  16:03:02  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doesn't count, it was never officially released, just part of a promotion to clear old stock that Barrie could not do anything else with. The same as Celebrity Sketches.

Edited by - jaseb on 12 Sep 2009 16:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  16:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Babbit did do some CSI sketches. Also just noticed that Rich Molinelli did a 4 panel sketch, one part is on the bay at the moment so only 3 to find. I noticed as I was looking on the SI website.
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  16:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see the first Sean Pence Dalek sketch has gone up on eBay too for £149.99, 280396328788. It's one of the five he did on the base SI Card stock too so it is quite rare...but not as nice as mine Anyone recognise the seller ?

Also another one of Andy Fry's return cards. This time a really nice Dalek. Probably still there because it's only a pencil sketch.

Edited by - Qexit on 12 Sep 2009 16:50:45
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  16:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IanG

I was lucky enough to win the auction for the Carolyn Edwards sketch and although I'm not complaining I am amazed it only went for £14.59.

Well, thanks for bidding and taking the price up a bit It's a nice card and a bargain at that price. Hopefully, you'll be receiving it Monday or Tuesday, Royal Mail disruption permitting.

Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  17:18:04  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't get me going about Royal Mail. Babbit is new to "Doctor Who" sketches is what I really should have typed.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  17:47:06  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb

Don't get me going about Royal Mail. Babbit is new to "Doctor Who" sketches is what I really should have typed.

The Jason's like Royal Mail
Go to Top of Page

IanG
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  17:54:40  Show Profile  Visit IanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see the first Sean Pence Dalek sketch has gone up on eBay too for £149.99, 280396328788. It's one of the five he did on the base SI Card stock too so it is quite rare...but not as nice as mine Anyone recognise the seller ?

I can tell you the guy's name is Paul James as I received an email from him a couple of days ago asking me, as I'd bought a couple of Additions sketches from him at the beginning of the year, whether I would be interested in any from the latest set. I pointed out that I was hopefully going to try and put together a master set and was interested in the Pence and Nik sketches he had sent me scans of. However when he came back to me with a price of £200 for the Pence I decided to give that one up. Incidentally I notice that he's listed the Nik I enquired about on Ebay as well with a starting price of £39.99 instead of the £55 price that he offered it to me at so I've got that on watch, you never know.

Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  18:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas

Also just noticed that Rich Molinelli did a 4 panel sketch, one part is on the bay at the moment so only 3 to find. I noticed as I was looking on the SI website.

Look again...it's a 6 panel sketch !!!! I just put all of the pieces together in Photoshop I don't think I'm going to go hunting for that lot even though it would be a great set to own.

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  18:33:10  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was it the old woman or the Dr and Tom?

Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  18:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here you go, a quick cut and paste job:

P.S. to Doctor Jas, you've already got one of the other pieces listed yourself

Edited by - Qexit on 12 Sep 2009 18:49:49
Go to Top of Page

IanG
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  18:55:00  Show Profile  Visit IanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck

Was it the old woman or the Dr and Tom?

It was the Doctor and Tom although he did offer me the old lady for £45. Strangely he's listed them both at £39.99 in spite of the fact that he wanted £10 less for the old lady. Like I said in a previous post I'm a sucker for Nik, I love his use of colour, and had he listed that one at £29.99 I would be tempted.

Mind you Qexit's colour Nik runs out tomorrow and that's sitting at £29.99, I just wish they didn't look like they'd all been tangoed, I might have been more tempted.
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  19:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IanG

Mind you Qexit's colour Nik runs out tomorrow and that's sitting at £29.99, I just wish they didn't look like they'd all been tangoed, I might have been more tempted.

There are currently 5 people watching that one, so I might even get a couple of bidders on it As I am now probably looking at only retaining not much more than a basic Master Set, my Nik Doctor is available (I'm definitely keeping the Dalek Spaceship). I've posted a list of cards I'm not going to keep over in the 'Stuff I Want To Get Rid Of' section for anyone interested.

Edited by - Qexit on 12 Sep 2009 19:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  03:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here you go, a quick cut and paste job:

P.S. to Doctor Jas, you've already got one of the other pieces listed yourself

Oh yes!!!!! Didn't realise it was that big. I can understand wht Barrie didn't put that into consecutively numbered artists, can you imagine pulling 6 sketches by the same artist in a case???!!! Now if they were 6 SP sketches I'd be cracking the champagne

It'd be fun if you could put a 6 panel together put impossible to do. Will kevin go for the other half to complte a 2 panel by RAM??? Go on, go for it!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:46:22 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com