Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  04:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas

It'd be fun if you could put a 6 panel together put impossible to do. Will kevin go for the other half to complte a 2 panel by RAM??? Go on, go for it!!

If it's still up for sale when my finances are back in order, then I'll buy it but right now that is not an option

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  05:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb

Yup, definately only 20 and the Thal one you have on the bay at the moment is 1 of a 2 part sketch. I have scans of all the cards he did and as I said earlier he has no blanks. Apparantly because he did not do his 25 Barrie said that he could not have them.

Box 0036 has produced a Dalek sketch by James McNeil; Jaseb is it possible to see the scans of his cards you have? I (and I'm sure others) would be interested to see it:

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  06:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice card Steven So that's 7 McNeil sketches in the first 72 boxes which is pretty good!!!! The odds are 1 in 5 cases yet we've seen 7 in the first 8 cases.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  07:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting stats! Conversely there are 13 of Mr McNeil's sketches left to find in the last 92 cases, so they're going to be pretty thin on the ground to find from here on in: that's 1 in 7 cases.

Edited by - Dalekfan on 13 Sep 2009 07:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  07:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are 4 others by McNeil already on ebay and one sold for £45 so 12 have surfaced yet only 3 or 4 SP sketches that we are aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  12:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found out that Clive had 3 Pence sketches and 3 by McNeil in his cases.
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  14:08:03  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James McNeil has a Deviantart page:

http://paduwon1.deviantart.com/gallery/

All of his 20 sketches are in there.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  14:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the link.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  15:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be completely honest and say that I am really disappointed with his work on this set. The sample card he did for this set looks very good, but none of the sketches he did for the set are a patch on his sample. The characters in shadow are very good, his other artwork is awesome, a talented artist I think but not his best work here I'm afraid. I don't often slate art as it appeals to different people in different ways but having seen what this guy is capable of I do feel somewhat disppointed. Sorry, I'm not normally negative
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  15:44:11  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know... I quite like it in a unconventional way, his work is very primative which to me adds a certain charm to them. In most of his portraits the subject seem to be very pale, almost jokeresque. The stock may not have done him any favours either. As a whole I like them and as a reletively new and upcoming artist I feel that perhaps this may not have been the best project for him to work as we Doctor Who arty types (for want of better wording) can be very critical.

Nik's work to me always has the same feel about it, very compitant artist but samey for me. Gary Ochiltree almost seem like a Nik-lite with very similar artwork but not quite as polished. Both styles I like but with the sheer quantity of Niks work around I find it difficult to get excited by it.

Another point, Robert Aragon's work, now don't get me wrong I like it a lot, but it is very primative when you compare it to his fine art work. Nontheless a class act.

Before anyone get too excited by my comments, they are my own opinion and I am not slating any artist or the style that they choose to employ, merely pointing out that needs to be a difference within a given set to counterbalance the perfectionism (is that a word?) of some artists styles.

At the end of the day you have to remember these are "sketch" cards not fine art, if you want that commission someone with more experience and pay the price they ask.

Going back on topic for this thread as it seems to have been well and truly hi-jacked, anyone opened any boxes or cases of late?

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  15:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Steven's still opening a pack every night
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  16:01:05  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd heard it was a pack a week.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  03:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A pack a week is about right. So busy....

I'll keep at 'em and post 'em here. Promise.

So, how many Pence's are out? 1 each for Kevin and Craig; 3 for Clive and 1 up on the Bay at the mo. Any more been found?

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  04:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clive opened 15 cases with another 5 to go!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  05:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Found out that Clive had 3 Pence sketches and 3 by McNeil in his cases.

Morning Jason.

So this was the result of Clive opening 15 cases! Shows how lucky Kevin and Craig were (sorry, don't mean to rub it in, mate)

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  11:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good job you didn't have 15 cases Steven!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  11:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good job you didn't have 15 cases Steven!!!

Wotya saying???

Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  11:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qexit

quote:

It'd be fun if you could put a 6 panel together put impossible to do. Will kevin go for the other half to complte a 2 panel by RAM??? Go on, go for it!!

If it's still up for sale when my finances are back in order, then I'll buy it but right now that is not an option

Little update. I've worked out a trade with a bit of help from Doctor Jas so the RAM 2 panel set will be complete soon

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  12:35:24  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe that it would have taken you 15 years to open them mate!

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  13:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb

Maybe that it would have taken you 15 years to open them mate!

Absolutely true.

My unopened Cornerstone boxes are now up to 15 years old and won't be opened at all! Similarly my Trilogy Monochrome boxes, whilst not as old, are staying put...

But it is indeed my intention to open the BS Mono ones, pervading business and family lives allowing!!!

Edited by - Dalekfan on 14 Sep 2009 13:01:29
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  13:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many Monochrome boxes are still seled up in your house Steven?
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  14:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Enough.

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  14:22:38  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan

quote:

Enough.

I bet he has nearly as many as Barrie hidden away.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  14:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're a naughty man, Craig!

To appease you guys I've opened box 0035. I can't pull Pence sketches but I can pull Dalek sketches: third one out of six opens! Daniel Bergren. Got a Bown auto too, so a good box IMHO:

Edited by - Dalekfan on 14 Sep 2009 14:24:43
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  14:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say that was one of the best Dalek's he's done. We'll await the next box with anticipation...........I bet you've got a sealed case of Trilogy Monochrome
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:51:32 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com